Mic

Default Mic's Info Posts Opinions wanted ---- Mic -really..

On Sun, 28 Aug 2005 15:24:33 GMT, "Roger Long"
wrote:

Mic,

You have lots of great links and I've enjoyed many of them. However,
it's time for you to put them all on a single web page or start a
blog.

All the links provided are confirmed prior to posting. If you have
visited many "complation" sailing sites many, sometimes 30-40% links
are 404's. Many of them havent been updated in years....so a page or
blog doesnt interest me at this time.

The reason why I have posted the things I have is they tend to be the
kind of info. that many are seeking and some of it can be quite
obscure on the net. Or it is funny, entertaining or witty.

Also the info. on sailing that I post are also topics I am interested
in which I may or may not have an opinion. Clearly there are those
with opinions in this NG. I think it goes without saying that you
come to know those opinions that interest you and those that dont.
So the referenced URL's with tech or opinions are posted here either
to inform or create discussion.

Having to scroll through a whole page of Mic posts to get to
the other stuff here is getting tiresome. I don't want to have to
block you and miss the leads to the great stuff you've found.

Humm...Well the other day I posted quite a few URL links. Do I think
it was to many? No. The average email gets more spam per day...and
what I post, I do not consider spam and the appreciation I have
recieved has been an inspriation to "share the knowledge". Actually
I would like if others would post interesting links with maybe a
mini-review.

Generally I dont respond to "hostile" or annoying posts. Not that I
am suggesting that is the nature of your post. But seriously 'to have
to scroll through a "whole page" of mic post is getting tiresome' even
though it leads to great sailing info.? The number of links you have
to go through to try to find related material that you are searching
for, whether it be sailing or anything else actually works out to
being more time than reviewing the material itself, including all the
404's.

Please
have some consideration for others and how much screen space you are
taking up.

Humm....maybe I should have grouped some of the info. together more.
But much of what I have posted are links that I have stored and the
sailing info, been saved. For the purpose of placing them here I
revisted those sights to confirm the link and usually post a quote or
mini-review for the benefit of those here who value their time, which
actually is a lot of effort and time, but is also a good review of the
material for me too.

BTW all the electrons used in my usenet posts are "recycled".

Humm....I guess I will post considerably less, but with this message I
will start a new thread and collect some more opinions - its usenet
afterall... So far I have had more positive comments than anthing
else.

Above all dont view this response as negative or the like, so read it
with a smile - it will make a difference. And actually I should
thanks you for inspiring this post and hopefully some more discussion
or not.

Best wishes, Mic
Don W

Mic,

Keep it coming... My vote anyway.

Don W.

snip
Best wishes, Mic

prodigal1

johnhh wrote:
Just try to group them to reduce the number of posts.

********
why should he?

keep 'em coming Mic
unlike some, I read the ones I want and fresh new idea don't read the
ones that don't interest me/fresh new idea
Capt. JG

wrote:

[...]

I like them also.. but I do think a blog would work. The latest topics are
typically at the top of the blog (e.g., blogger.com), so you wouldn't have
to do much editing. If one turns 404, it would quickly scroll to the bottom
anyway. I'll be reading them either way I guess.

Jonathan

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

Mic

On Sun, 28 Aug 2005 18:14:07 -0400, prodigal1 wrote:

johnhh wrote:
Just try to group them to reduce the number of posts.

********
why should he?

keep 'em coming Mic
unlike some, I read the ones I want and fresh new idea don't read the
ones that don't interest me/fresh new idea

Humm.... a novel concept, actually thats what I do also....

I have had sometime to think about it and if I group a number of posts
the issues become:

- the subject ie. the title of the post, and if the title doesnt
interest you then you may miss the other ones you might be interested
in, I like when it is specific and simple

- also the way this posts are archived would create an issue, yes in
many situations usenet posts are gathered and used for a website,
which is what Bill Dietrich did on his site and I know of others too.

- when each post has its own specific subject then any discussion is
related to that subject and the issues are less confusing or what have
you

- well if you do an advanced search on google under Mic in this NG and
the Subject title is specific then it is easier to retreive the URL or
discussion, which is what I have sort of done in certain instances

- there actually are some people who only have email and usenet access

- I have seen some of the URL's I post here show up regularly on
certain web sites - a good thing

- I think that posting to many subjects in one day may be more of an
issue. But you know when there are people who appreciate what you do
it really is an inspriation. Like say you are surfing and you see a
"wizard" idea regarding sailing, or a fantastic image of a boat, you
may have the instant inspiration to share that via usenet.

- Sailnet - the community was fantastic - and as a tech resource
generally - was unparalleled. That was the key to there success.

- A blog or URL page, well really it doesnt fit the purpose, which is:
some may have a different opinion than that in the provided link and
when on usenet it provides a relative instant feedback and discussion
forum - maybe yes, maybe no.

There are more reasons but these are just some of them....

Like the posting of the ": Hard Dodger - project home built" today I
saw an excellent simular posting of a forward hatch - home built and
exceptionally well done. I chosen to save it and maybe post it in the
future.

I think the answer is to limit the Info posting to 1 -3 a day when
and if I have time. I know the other day there were about 16 Sailing
info post. And believe it or not that took a few hours to do, from my
archives and checking the links, etc. So dont worry I wont have the
time to do that everyday :{

Jon Gauthier

Mic,

Familiarize yourself with RSS (Really Simple Syndication). You could
setup a web site, with a blog if you want for your own take on the
subjects you post here, and publish an RSS feed here in the newsgroup.
That would clear up the clutter that others are objecting to.

Mozilla Firefox makes it easy for even a sailor to subscribe to any RSS
feeds you might want to publish. MS is incorporating the same feature in
their new Internet Explorer v7, in beta now.
Mic

Humm....I usually dont even have Java Script turned on......and dont
use IM either.

Here is a quote from an issue regarding lectronic charts:

"I just wanted to drop you a note on your "chart software lockup." I
grew up on a boat and have sailed extensively. I have a Masters in
Computer Science and make my living developing software. Microsoft
Windows (NT, 95, 98, 2000) all use libraries called DLL's. A single
program might interact with 50, 100 DLL's. When the program gets
installed it looks at the DLL's on your system and copies in any
versions that it shipped with that are newer or that you do not have.
There is no guarantee that newer is better or that it is even
accurate. The software uses the "date" on the file to determine newer
but this date can be changed accidentally. When you install a second
program it will do the same with the DLL's. No guarantee that the
first and second program will even work with each other's DLL's. They
are likely to share some DLL's.

The net result is what we in the software industry call "DLL Rot".
Software quits working for inexplicable reasons and programs, which
used to work, crash. An example of DLL Rot is the computer that I am
sending this e-mail to you on. For some reason Microsoft's installer
program no longer works on this computer. I can't install Office 2000.
This is only a minor irritant to me because I have 9 computers in my
office that I use.

If I were to use a "charting" program I would install it onto a
computer preferably running Windows NT or 2000 and then NEVER EVER
EVER install another program on that computer.

Maybe this will help you or somebody else that you pass the
information on to."