posted to rec.boats.electronics

Default new Radio / amp / speakers but low volume???

to the experts,
For my boat I've recently instaled a new Sony radio, 6 CD changer, new
speakers inside and out and a new 4 channel amp. When I raise the
volume the radio or CD start cutting out?
I've upped the amp already.... ... I think 600 watts. Is it the amp and

do I need more power? or two amps; 1 for each speaker set or is it the
radio?
Plenty on voltage and installed correctly, sounds great at a reasonable

volume just at times you want it to be louder!!
Before I go back to Circuit City what questionas do I need to ask Amp
or Radio??
Thanks in advance

posted to rec.boats.electronics

"Chris" wrote in news:1159199361.774558.155160
@m7g2000cwm.googlegroups.com:

to the experts,
For my boat I've recently instaled a new Sony radio, 6 CD changer, new
speakers inside and out and a new 4 channel amp. When I raise the
volume the radio or CD start cutting out?
I've upped the amp already.... ... I think 600 watts. Is it the amp and

do I need more power? or two amps; 1 for each speaker set or is it the
radio?
Plenty on voltage and installed correctly, sounds great at a reasonable

volume just at times you want it to be louder!!
Before I go back to Circuit City what questionas do I need to ask Amp
or Radio??
Thanks in advance

Measure the voltage with the volume at zero, then watch the voltage as
you raise the volume. 600W output will draw about 650W with its switcher
power supply. 650W divided by 13V = 50A! That little zipcord isn't
going to handle that kind of current. You need to wire the amp DC input
with #4 to #6. Radio Shack sells red (+) and black (-) fine stranded #4
or 6 for this purpose in bulk. Get an idea how long you need of each
color. The bigger wire, obviously, is better. Even then, you'll see 50A
draw down the battery if you play it LOUD!

What's happening is the tinywire you have now is dropping the battery
voltage down far enough with this kind of current load so it's so low
there isn't enough left to run the CD/radio circuits, which just shut
down because they use electronic power switching.

Man, tell us what marina you're playin 600 watts in so we can be
SOMEWHERE ELSE!....(c;

--
There's amazing intelligence in the Universe.
You can tell because none of them ever called Earth.
posted to rec.boats.electronics

Larry thanks and for the load sound....usually far out at sea. I'll
check the voltage drop when a load is place ....I think I have a # 6
wire now from the terminal to the amp but could increase and take it
direct to the battery.
Thanks and I'll let you all know. As for the volume just sometimes Old
Janis has to be loud!!

posted to rec.boats.electronics
Ed Ed is offline

BTW.. spend the extra $ and buy marine wire from West... it will save
you from posting again in a couple years wondering why your voltage
dropped again...

Chris wrote:
Larry thanks and for the load sound....usually far out at sea. I'll
check the voltage drop when a load is place ....I think I have a # 6
wire now from the terminal to the amp but could increase and take it
direct to the battery.
Thanks and I'll let you all know. As for the volume just sometimes Old
Janis has to be loud!!

posted to rec.boats.electronics

"Chris" wrote in news:1159224929.336631.19500
@b28g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:

Larry thanks and for the load sound....usually far out at sea. I'll
check the voltage drop when a load is place ....I think I have a # 6
wire now from the terminal to the amp but could increase and take it
direct to the battery.
Thanks and I'll let you all know. As for the volume just sometimes Old
Janis has to be loud!!

If you run it to the battery, be SURE to put a 50A fuse in a waterproof
holder (Waste Marine has them) AT THE BATTERY to protect the circuit from
fire/short/killing you in your sleep.

Thanks...(c;

--
There's amazing intelligence in the Universe.
You can tell because none of them ever called Earth.

Olive wants to go to the Caribbean ! [email protected] Cruising 20 December 10th 05 02:03 AM
HAM and SSB Frequencies Bill Cruising 5 August 18th 05 07:58 PM
Modifying Icom IC-M800 Steve Electronics 38 July 10th 04 03:49 PM
VANISHED (stolen?)- a new (and unique) 57' Beneteau [email protected] Cruising 18 January 13th 04 12:26 AM