posted to rec.boats.cruising,rec.boats.electronics,rec.boats

Default New Marine WiFi Product

This is not currently a project for me but I'm keeping an eye on the
posts because I'm sure there will be a point in time in future at which
my immediate interest will be greater. Anyway, I stumbled across the
link below while searching for something else, remembered you guys, and
thought to offer it to you. (Billed as a "mobile wifi solution".) If
it's not of interest to you, nothing lost. If it helps, great.

http://www.geosatsolutions.com/Merch...gory_Code=WIFI

Wayne.B wrote:
Although I have not tried this myself, it looks interesting and I may
order one. Basically it's a 9 db omnidirectional antenna integrated
with a high powered USB adapter. The advantage is that coax losses
are eliminated and you have a smaller cable coming into the boat.

http://www.radiolabs.com/products/wi...ne-antenna.php

posted to rec.boats.cruising,rec.boats.electronics,rec.boats

Hi ,Bill, and groups,

My apologies if this is a duplication - I tried to respond some time
ago, but had a crash, or just, perhaps, Googlegroups, where I do this
because I don't have a news feed, doesn't show it?

Bill Kearney wrote:
Does your setup let you identify and select from shore points, or do
you have to somehow first configure the arch unit?

When I get to where I need wifi it's a simple matter of surfing to the arch
unit's web configuration page, selecting a site survey and picking an SSID.
Works pretty well.

From that I infer that you do your surfing from the AP to the bridge.

Or, do you have to unhook the ethernet and do it by hooking it to your
NIC? Either way, do you have to make your interface the same IP
family, or can it do it over dhcp?

Turned down the radio's transmission mW setting until it just barely covers
more than the cockpit region of the boat. Ended up being about 9mW.

Pretty cool. I assume that's also done on web interface, with a mouse
click or perhaps direct entry? Are these the usual 40mw or something
else?

One unit's in the arch, the other's in a cabinet belowdecks. Both are
powered off the boat's 12vdc. They're on the same breaker so I can cut
power to them when they're not needed. I just ran 14ga wire directly to
them instead of screwing around with power-over-ethernet.

I'd had the same idea - but don't know how much power they take. In my
case, it will be up the mast; if I have both units in that NEMA, it
would take two POE units. OTOH, what would both of them draw (so I
could figure out what size wire I'd have to run to them)?

An important point is to keep the radio that's talking to the shore as close
as possible to the antenna. There's no sense in having this sort of setup
if you're going to just go and lose gain by running a long length of coax.
I've got about 30" of cabling total from the antenna to the router mounted
inside the arch. Then I run wired ethernet to the second router belowdecks.
Wired ethernet can run upward of 100 meters, a much better deal than RF coax
dB loss.

My antenna coax is about 6" so I think I'll be ok on that :{)) In my
case, up at the top of the mast, with the lightning arrestor as the
mount point of the antenna (pigtail to the bridge inside connects to
the arrestor), I didn't have to elevate the antenna more than the
bridge.

The single biggest advantage to this is all the admiral has to do is fire up
her laptop and use the 'boat' ssid. No extra config hassles on her machine.
This alone is worth the effort. Sure, I have to manually select the shore
ssid but that's a trivial process.

Ditto - but mine has the other item in spades, where she can call her
kids and her mother, and for that matter, as she did Sunday, her twin
in Hong Kong and her sister in England, on a three-way, all over wifi.
I have yet to hook up the new Vonage router and double phone set, but I
expect it will do just fine - and it's another 12v item :{))

L8R

Skip, reinstalling the tranny and other driveline excitement tomorrow

Morgan 461 #2
SV Flying Pig KI4MPC
See our galleries at www.justpickone.org/skip/gallery!
Follow us at and

"Believe me, my young friend, there is *nothing*-absolutely
nothing-half so much worth doing as simply messing,
messing-about-in-boats; messing about in boats-or *with* boats.
In or out of 'em, it doesn't matter. Nothing seems really to matter,
that's the charm of it.
Whether you get away, or whether you don't; whether you arrive at your
destination or whether you reach somewhere else, or whether you never
get anywhere at all, you're always busy, and you never do anything in
particular; and when you've done it there's always something else to
do, and you can do it if you like, but you'd much better not."

-Bill Kearney

posted to rec.boats.cruising,rec.boats.electronics,rec.boats

From that I infer that you do your surfing from the AP to the bridge.
Or, do you have to unhook the ethernet and do it by hooking it to your
NIC? Either way, do you have to make your interface the same IP
family, or can it do it over dhcp?

The shore link client is running DHCP. The in boat device is not, just as
an access point. So when a laptop connects it's getting it's IP address
through the access point from the router. This means there's nothing to do
on the laptops other than select the 'boat' SSID. I never have to connect
any wires to the laptops to handle configuring anything.

The wiring runs from the device in the arch, wired ethernet to a 5 port
switch belowdecks. The in boat device (access point) is also wired into
this. I could've just connected the two directly together but having this
switch gives me some expansion options. Actually, two other ports are
already connected to the Raymarine E-80 and Sirius weather interfaces.
Works great. At some point I'll be connected a 'permanent' PC into the boat
for engine data, logging and web cam and that'll go in the 5th remaining
port. The access point has 4 of it's own switch ports but I chose not to
use them as it would've meant running more and longer wires from the
raymarine gear (Hassle and $$$). So if I really needed 'more' wired ports I
could just use the ones on the access point. And the device in the arch
also has 4 more ports free but again, wiring hassles make it unlikely I'll
bother with them.

Turned down the radio's transmission mW setting until it just barely

covers
more than the cockpit region of the boat. Ended up being about 9mW.

Pretty cool. I assume that's also done on web interface, with a mouse
click or perhaps direct entry? Are these the usual 40mw or something
else?

28mW is the usual. I've tuned the in-boat device to about 8mW and that
seems to work nicely. Simple web page selection, and not one that gets
changed for typical use.

I'd had the same idea - but don't know how much power they take.

I'm in a twin engined powerboat. I don't know, nor care about their power
consumption. I only run them when I actually need to use them.

In my
case, it will be up the mast; if I have both units in that NEMA, it
would take two POE units. OTOH, what would both of them draw (so I
could figure out what size wire I'd have to run to them)?

I'm not the one to task as I've run a separate power line for each of them.
I believe it was 14 gauge wire I used to avoid voltage drop. I've no idea
what Power Over Ethernet would require but I'm sure a web search would be
enlightening.

Ditto - but mine has the other item in spades, where she can call her
kids and her mother, and for that matter, as she did Sunday, her twin
in Hong Kong and her sister in England, on a three-way, all over wifi.
I have yet to hook up the new Vonage router and double phone set, but I
expect it will do just fine - and it's another 12v item :{))

Yeah, the VOIP thing would certainly be interesting and should we need it
the network's there to support it. But our cell phone coverage and plans
are more than sufficient to handle our calling needs here on the Chesapeake.
Were we calling or travelling internationally we'd certainly look into it.
I've heard plenty of horror stories about Vonage and other lowball VOIP
providers. Mainly that their voice quality sucks (even with excellent
connectivity). Along with that it's easier to get rid of a venereal disease
than to unsubscribe from their services.

-Bill Kearney

posted to rec.boats.cruising,rec.boats.electronics,rec.boats

"Bill Kearney" wrote in
t:

Ditto - but mine has the other item in spades, where she can call her
kids and her mother, and for that matter, as she did Sunday, her twin
in Hong Kong and her sister in England, on a three-way, all over
wifi. I have yet to hook up the new Vonage router and double phone
set, but I expect it will do just fine - and it's another 12v item
:{))

Yeah, the VOIP thing would certainly be interesting and should we need
it the network's there to support it. But our cell phone coverage and
plans are more than sufficient to handle our calling needs here on the
Chesapeake. Were we calling or travelling internationally we'd
certainly look into it. I've heard plenty of horror stories about
Vonage and other lowball VOIP providers. Mainly that their voice
quality sucks (even with excellent connectivity). Along with that
it's easier to get rid of a venereal disease than to unsubscribe from
their services.

-Bill Kearney

I wouldn't waste money on Vonage, which is really on the rocks, now.
They are so far on the rocks my local Circuit City is selling a Vonage
system for $50 WITH A $100 REBATE! They'll pay YOU to take it home in
rebates!

VoIP = Skype. No monthly ripoff $25 like Vonage. You only pay for
USAGE, and only that after Jan 1, 2007 if you are in the USA or Canada.
Skype to Skype to the twins in Hong Kong and England is ALWAYS free, as
to everyone else on the planet. It only costs you a little relay
bandwidth you'll never notice as Skype routes other users data, not voice
data, through your Skype to distribute the load on the system, a tiny
price to pay for something that works fantastic.

Now the pot just got sweeter! Check out http://www.voxlib.com/ from
Canada for Skype. This software controls your Skype when you've gone off
away from your computer......

-----------------------------------------text file inserted

http://www.voxlib.com/

Yesterday, I got a message from a webpage box I clicked saying Voxlib was
ready for beta testing free downloading, so I downloaded it and installed
it. Install it into the computer at home you leave running all the time.
By next year, they plan on running it on a server, instead of your own
computers, but right now you must run it on your computer to use
it....for free.

Skype, of course for US/Canadians, is free until Jan 2007 when it comes
online for only a pittance.

*** What does Voxlib do for me??

Voxlib is an intellegent answering and conferencing software to control
Skype when you're not at home. There are two ways to use it:

1) - with Skype In ($US28/YEAR!...CHEAP!) on your own Skype In phone
number. You simply call your Skype In number from your Cellphone...or
any phone with your PIN number...and Voxlib answers you, automatically
with caller ID from your cell, or with PIN number access if you don't
have caller ID. It answers with a voice prompt of a menu to select from.
Press Causes Voxlib to:
1 Call someone's Skype on their computer.

2 Call out from your computer to a telephone
using Skype Out.

3 Tell me who on your Skype contact list is
online at the moment. Reads it to you.

4 Connects you to Skype Voicemail (free with Skype In)

2) - By using SMS messages between Voxlib and your cellphone....

Voxlib can also be operated by SMS messages, instead of voice prompts.
All the features above can be accessed and operated by SMS. This is
advantageous if your have a cellphone like Nextel where all INCOMING
calls are free and don't use airtime. You send an SMS message to Voxlib
telling it to connect to someone on your contact list or to a telephone
number, instead of direct calling Voxlib on Skype In. Voxlib then makes
a Skype conference call, the same as it does by voice/touchtone commands,
but it now calls your cellphone (INCOMING FREE CALL on some systems) and
connects you to your Skype or phone line party.....anywhere on the
planet. It simply prompts your party of the conference with you.

Anyone on Nextel or having free incoming calls use no airtime with the
SMS features. SMS costs too much to use on my cell, but your mileage may
vary.

Recap......

Up until now, you had to be at your Skype terminal on your computer, or
from one of the special little Skype Phones like my Linksys CIT200
cordless Skype Phone near the computer to do these things. Voxlib allows
you to operate Skype by remote control from any cellphone or landline
phone, anywhere!

*** Why is this important?

Skype calls are FREE to other Skype users, anywhere on the planet. If
you have friends in foreign countries and call them on your cellular
phone, the cellphone ripoff artists make you pay, DEARLY, to call them
from your cell. Now, you can call them from the car and pay only airtime
minutes to a local telephone number...your Skype In number...even if they
are in Siberia or Tibet. (just press 1)

Calling long distance from your cellphone to a telephone outside your
country, say Japan, reminds one of the days when it was $4/minute to call
the next town over on Ma Bell. US to Japan runs about $1.50 to
3.50/minute on cellular carriers. However, with Voxlib, you can call
your local Skype In, Voxlib answers, you press 2, Voxlib asks for country
code-area code-number and places the call to Japan on your Skype Out from
your computer at home it is running on for $US0.021/minute. That reduces
that $35 ten minute phone call to Japan to 21 cents! Not everyone's
cellphone has free long distance to other US phones. They pay nothing
but airtime to call Grandma in Topeka until Jan 2007 on Skype Out, then
only 2.1c/min....not the 49c/min Smiley's Cellular and Haircare wants for
a long distance cellular phone call. (just press 2)

You can find out who is on Skype now from anywhere...just press 3.

You can listen to your Skype Voicemail calls without going to a Skype
computer, from any phone, automatically from your cellphone.

Works great. There's a few bugs but you can help in the forums Voxlib is
running on their website. I found you need to manually turn off AUTO
ANSWER in Skype and reported that to Voxlib today. Voxlib can't answer
your call if Autoanswer in Skype is ON. They'll fix it...(c;

It just keeps gettin' better'n better!

--------------------------------------------end of text file inserted

Vonage sucks.....(c;.....You may quote me!

--
There's amazing intelligence in the Universe.
You can tell because none of them ever called Earth.
posted to rec.boats.cruising,rec.boats.electronics,rec.boats

VoIP = Skype.

No, VoIP is based on open, published standards. Skype is a proprietary hack
with nothing published regarding it's format or protocols.

It only costs you a little relay
bandwidth you'll never notice as Skype routes other users data

You say this based on what experience and measurement from an actual marine
environment? p2p traffic is not without it's waste of bandwidth. For
someone in a limited bandwidth situation it may well be a BIG problem to go
"sharing" it for p2p apps like skype.

posted to rec.boats.cruising,rec.boats.electronics,rec.boats

Thanks, Bill,

Bill Kearney wrote:
From that I infer that you do your surfing from the AP to the bridge.
Or, do you have to unhook the ethernet and do it by hooking it to your
NIC? Either way, do you have to make your interface the same IP
family, or can it do it over dhcp?

The shore link client is running DHCP. The in boat device is not, just as
an access point. So when a laptop connects it's getting it's IP address
through the access point from the router. This means there's nothing to do
on the laptops other than select the 'boat' SSID. I never have to connect
any wires to the laptops to handle configuring anything.

Very cool. My current setup requires direct connection to the bridge in
order to set up the shore point to which I connect. And, the NIC has to
be set to the same IP net other than the last number.

The wiring runs from the device in the arch, wired ethernet to a 5 port
switch belowdecks. The in boat device (access point) is also wired into
this. I could've just connected the two directly together but having this
switch gives me some expansion options. Actually, two other ports are
already connected to the Raymarine E-80 and Sirius weather interfaces.
Works great. At some point I'll be connected a 'permanent' PC into the boat
for engine data, logging and web cam and that'll go in the 5th remaining
port.

Gotcha - cool that you didn't need the switch (though, I'm wondering
why, if the AP has ports, you didn't just use those?). Mine crashes
without the router in between. And, I don't currently have a means of
interfacing (other than a single RS232 for the GPS) any of my
electronics to my computer, which I'd like.

I'd had the same idea - but don't know how much power they take.

I'm in a twin engined powerboat. I don't know, nor care about their power
consumption.

:{)) I don't suppose I would, either. In actuality, we probably will
try to maximize our use during wind and sun periods, where we'd
otherwise be in shunt mode due to full batteries (solar and wind).

I'm not the one to task as I've run a separate power line for each of them.
I believe it was 14 gauge wire I used to avoid voltage drop. I've no idea
what Power Over Ethernet would require but I'm sure a web search would be
enlightening.

I'd meant directly - POE uses the ethernet cable itsef, starting with
48V and stepping down to 12V at the end. The actual power consumption
I was wondering about was in the units themselves, leading to what
size direct power source wire I'd need.

[...]

That's a very interesting comment(s):

My mother-in-law (England) describes our voice quality as better than
folks calling her locally. Generally speaking, I've heard no complaint
from any one I know on Vonage (perhaps a dozen or more) as their sole
provider of either home or SOHO wired (not counting the cordless ones,
of course, which still have the cord to the wall on at least one unit)
service. That number includes two of my children, who both have V
backfed into their home networks (unhook the NID, plug the RJ11 into
the jack, and now all the jacks in the home are live on Vonage) as the
only telephone service inside. My son, in particular, is very picky;
I'm sure he'd ditch it in a heartbeat if there were problems.

As to lowball poroviders, I don't know what constitutes lowball - when
Skype and other peer-peer services (such as my googletalk which I use
with my son in Ireland cuz he doesn't want to run up cell charges, his
only phone) are free, 15 (basic) or 25 a month (unlimited US, Canada,
UK, Ireland and 3 Euro countries) sounds like highball. Perhaps the
"other" (lowball providers) are an issue - but I can say from direct
experience that CS in Vonage is great; I've changed my service several
times over the course of the time I've had it. If I needed to
disconnect altogether I expect it would be instant. Certainly, it was,
when I dropped my softphone (a separate service, with its own number),
including the unused time of the month credited, once I had my bridge
setup cured. Always instantly available on the phone, change made as I
speak with them, etc.

And, FWIW, while not recently (the recent time I tried it was very
good), attempting Skype to Hong Kong was such a failure when we first
tried we gave up and called back on Vonage (both from my prior home
connection). And any of the peer-peer services, or "softphone" (like
Skype and Vonage dongles of whatever sort) adaptations, require a
computer be on, whether or not you can get away without having to be
tied via a headset or even a blootooth device. Mine just requires the
bridge and the (Vonage) router. Because the router is the base
station, my new setup doesn't even need an RJJ11 device powered up to
have two cordless phones active at the same time, a nicety when both of
us want to talk to someone at the same time :{))

Currently, I'm embroiled in two transmission issues - one in the boat,
the other in the car - so fiddling with the computer stuff is taking
backseat priority. However, I want to try your bridge, as it seems
like it would be superior to mine if I don't have to unhook to make my
shoreside connections. I'd like that a lot :{))

When you put your unit in a NEMA, how big was the box? Did you take
off the case and just do the board, or leave it on?

Thanks.

L8R

Skip

[...]

Default VoIP (was) New Marine WiFi Product

Hi, Larry,

You've been sufficiently taken to task for most of what you wrote :{))
that I'll not repeat it. However...

Larry wrote:

(most snipped)

Calling long distance from your cellphone to a telephone outside your

and, there's the rub. If I'm not on a cell I'm out of communication,
whether or not I care about having a computer up all the time. As
you've frequently observed, power is our friend. When Engulf and
Devour isn't at hand to offer us all the power we care to pay for, some
of us have to watch our watts.

So, between the necessity of having a computer on line all the time and
needing some telephone to talk to it in order to make any call I
wouldn't otherwise just use the phone aforementioned, I think I'll
stick to this mode of telephony.

Vonage sucks.....(c;.....You may quote me!

Well, if you look at the little carat next to the above, I just did.
However, I - and any other respondents that I've seen - don't agree.

As it is, I'm about to drop my cell service. Despite their trumpeting,
in billboards all over town, their being the company with the fewest
dropped calls, my inability to get a Cingular (previously AT&T) signal
makes it nearly worthless, at least here. Of course, down island, it
would be worthless anyway, so this just accelerates the obvious - I
don't need a cell phone.

Of course, if I were running a service business, and I had good cell
coverage, I agree I'd need one. However, I'm hopeful I don't make
global (pardon the expression - Vonage works globally if you have a
wifi signal) statements about utility or suitability to a purpose...

I've found Vonage to be very valuable; were I still in a wired
environment, that's what I'd do, again. Any reading this who think
they agree, please drop me a note so I can refer you - we'll both get a
free month if you take the service...

[...]

No, it only works if you've got a stable signal that has good throughput.
Which proves to be quite a challenge in the assortment of location I've
tried, albeit within the limited confines of Chesapeake north of the
Potomac. I'm sure signal coverage varies greatly in different areas but I'd
never assume it'd (wifi) be reliable enough to depend on it being present
and usable. Cellular data services are often more reliable but sometimes
slower (usually) and not without their billing issues. So using a p2p
shared system like skype could potentially be a real problem.

The nice part is there are choices. With today's level of deployment
there's not enough to make it reliable but at least it's *possible*. Adjust
your expectations accordingly.

posted to rec.boats.cruising,rec.boats.electronics,rec.boats

Very cool. My current setup requires direct connection to the bridge in
order to set up the shore point to which I connect. And, the NIC has to
be set to the same IP net other than the last number.

Yeah, different setups might require that. There's probably ways to deal
with that but given the adventures you've had thus far it might be prudent
to just stick with what works for you.

Gotcha - cool that you didn't need the switch (though, I'm wondering
why, if the AP has ports, you didn't just use those?).

Wiring. There's a router in the arch, it has 5 ports on it. Running wires
to it requires going down the gunwales and up the arch, with various
bulkheads and panels along the way. There's an access point in a cabinet in
the main cabin. This placement to facilitate best coverage within the
vessel without spreading it out across the water. Again, getting wires to
this location is the issue. The E-80 chartplotter is in the helm, the
Sirius weather interface is in a panel behind the stairs. There's an
RS-232, a video and an ethernet cable running from the E-80 to the sirius
unit. This location is central to where all the devices wiring passes.

I don't "have to" provide extra ports for the E-80/weather setup. But at
some point I'll be using a PC to interface with those devices. So using a
straight cross-over cable between them wouldn't help the expansion plans.
But using the cabin's access point would've meant running their wires
another 10 feet. That's not a technical limitation but just would've added
more labor. This also lets me disable the access point without having it
affect the weather gear, but also leave shore connections working. Yeah,
it's a few more watts to have the switch running, and at some point I'll
check how much. But I took extra effort to make sure all my devices can use
12v so at least there's no loss from inverters or step-down transformers
(besides the ones in the devices themselves of course).

Mine crashes without the router in between.

Well, given your travails thus far I guess you're stuck.

And, I don't currently have a means of
interfacing (other than a single RS232 for the GPS) any of my
electronics to my computer, which I'd like.

I'll be adding a PC to the mix probably over the winter. I'll use that as a
means to bridge a number of things. I've got a waterproof mouse and
keyboard and the PC is an old laptop with a video out. So I'll probably
either use the TV or the E-80 as a display for it. That PC will presumably
allow me to do some more clever things with webcam and GPS. That and the PC
can act as a 'gateway' of sorts of sharing the other NMEA buss data.

I'm in a twin engined powerboat. I don't know, nor care about their

power
consumption.

:{)) I don't suppose I would, either. In actuality, we probably will
try to maximize our use during wind and sun periods, where we'd
otherwise be in shunt mode due to full batteries (solar and wind).

Well, I do care somewhat, if only to avoid having the gear drain the ship's
battery if AC isn't available. I've got a Blue Sea voltage limiter that'll
get installed eventually. I'd rather have it kill the gadgets than run my
battery down. Well, that and adding more batteries to the ship's system
circuit. this winter. A couple of golf cart type cells are likely additions
to help make sure I've got enough to keep all the toys running.

I'd meant directly - POE uses the ethernet cable itsef, starting with
48V and stepping down to 12V at the end. The actual power consumption
I was wondering about was in the units themselves, leading to what
size direct power source wire I'd need.

websites related to neighborhood wifi. I suppose the first step would be to
get actual wattage needs for your gear. Then estimate or measure the actual
distance and then do the math. I didn't bother and just took the 'use
thicker gauge' shortcut. Viking's going of business sale made it a cheap
decision to go with heavier gauge wire than might be "required".

My mother-in-law (England) describes our voice quality as better than
folks calling her locally. Generally speaking, I've heard no complaint
from any one I know on Vonage

The main risks of complaint are encoder quality and bandwidth. It doesn't
matter if it's free or low cost if it's ****ty service. If you're on a link
that's congested you will get reduced audio quality and interruptions. If
there's good network routing along the entire path then it's less likely.
Audio requires not just a 'fast connection' but one that's free of
congestion. It's no good to have a fast link if it's got high latency.

but I can say from direct
experience that CS in Vonage is great

Then keep your fingers crossed. Your experience does not parallel that of
others who've reported considerable difficult getting effective support.
But then again those with problems are the one's making noise, right?

And any of the peer-peer services, or "softphone" (like
Skype and Vonage dongles of whatever sort) adaptations, require a
computer be on, whether or not you can get away without having to be
tied via a headset or even a blootooth device.

Well, there's a good chance that'll change. But as you point out VoIP has
ATA devices that don't require a PC. Of course, what consitutes a PC these
days can nearly come as close to a black box when it comes to size and power
limitations. Not usually as cheaply though.

Mine just requires the
bridge and the (Vonage) router. Because the router is the base
station, my new setup doesn't even need an RJJ11 device powered up to
have two cordless phones active at the same time, a nicety when both of
us want to talk to someone at the same time :{))

Just make sure you're not using 2.4gHz cordless phones. No sense making
your wifi troubles worse..

However, I want to try your bridge, as it seems
like it would be superior to mine if I don't have to unhook to make my
shoreside connections.

I'm hesitant to suggest how to work around your situations limits as it's
unclear just what sort of mess you've finally gotten working. For me it was
easy, from the get-go I assumed I'd have to use two different routers as
there's only one radio in a router. I knew I'd have to use one to speak tot
the shore and another one entirely to cover devices on the boat. Thus the
devices on the boat always have their own network. The shore link device
always has a static address on that network. So the laptops always connect
to the access point and thus always have a link to the shore interface
device. It *may* be possible, in your situation, to do the same. But given
the confusion of posts surrounding your setup I really can't say.

When you put your unit in a NEMA, how big was the box? Did you take
off the case and just do the board, or leave it on?

Heh, I skipped the enclosure entirely. I just bought another router. The
one that's inside the arch isn't enclosed at all (at least not yet). The
access panel is only 6" round but it's hole is about 7". So I disassembled
the router, put it's pieces in through the hole and reassembled it. I'll
eventually stuff it inside a ziploc with some sort of fittings and a bunch
of silica gel packets. But given how cheaply another router was I've been
putting it off...

-Bill Kearney

posted to rec.boats.cruising,rec.boats.electronics,rec.boats

"Bill Kearney" wrote in
t:

You say this based on what experience and measurement from an actual
marine environment? p2p traffic is not without it's waste of
bandwidth. For someone in a limited bandwidth situation it may well
be a BIG problem to go "sharing" it for p2p apps like skype.

The only time VoIP is going to function is over a satellite phone or on
wifi at the dock. I don't know anyone rich enough to use a satellite
phone for any kind of broadband, so we're talking about wifi from the
dock condo at the, as the little old lady in Beaufort, SC, put it,
"floating trailer park". There, it's no different than it is at home.

Cellphone is cheaper than any VoIP cruising down the ICW and rivers or
close, real close, offshore. "Out there", we're back in $1.50/min
satellite country.

In the "actual marine environment", as you say, no VoIP service is going
to save anyone any money.

I measure the traffic Skype uses to route calls to other users through my
system at around 200 bytes/second, on average. As Skype doesn't work on
dialup connections, but does, at least until Verizon Wireless catches
them, work well on a laptop aircard on 1X lowfi internet. This traffic
it consumes is imperceptable, even on the aircard. I've seen 8 Skype
connections through my laptop on wifi with no ill effects at all. It's a
tiny price to pay for great telephone service that has no monthly load
fees at all!

Which VoIP service in the "actual marine environment" is its price
competitor? Those who can afford satellite phones are not interested in
price. Small boaters living aboard at the dock of a wifi-enabled marina
would be crazy to use anything else, ask Skip.

Skype's new partner, Voxlib (www.voxlib.com), in Canada, has REVERSED a
deficiency of Skype for anyone who wants it, for free at the moment.
Voxlib allows you to call your Skype contacts from a remote location,
from your cellphone or any telephone on the planet with your incredibly-
expensive $28/year SkypeIn phone number. Voxlib-to-Skype calls are all
free. Voxlib-to-landline/mobiles are dirt cheap at Skype Out rates, free
until January for US/Canadian users. How they make any profit is a
mystery to me, but you'll get no complaints from Skype customers...(c;

If you have a cellular service that doesn't charge for INCOMING calls,
such as Nextel for instance, Voxlib calls are even free to the cellphone
when you control Voxlib through its SMS message functions. Voxlib gets
the message, makes the interconnect to your party, then calls your
cellphone, a free incoming call, and connects the two of you in
conference. After January, that will be 2.1c/minute to most civilized
places where the local telephone bureaucrats don't make the caller pay
for the call. This is a pretty cheap boat phone if you have wifi. It's
even worth installing cable internet to your own wifi hotspot in a box on
the dock near your boat if the marina doesn't provide it at a reasonable
rate. A group of nearby boats can share the cost of this resource and
everyone on the dock can have Skype phone service aboard. WEP protect
the hotspot to encourage others to join and help fund it.

--
There's amazing intelligence in the Universe.
You can tell because none of them ever called Earth.

WaterWheel Product Manufacturing, Sealing & Finishing [email protected] Boat Building 3 July 7th 06 07:31 AM
2005 West Marine catalog announed [email protected] General 23 March 5th 05 02:48 PM
Just a few names... John Smith General 0 May 2nd 04 11:32 PM
paradise cove trip Brien Alkire ASA 31 February 15th 04 11:17 PM
The same people Simple Simon ASA 28 July 23rd 03 03:20 PM