posted to rec.boats.cruising,rec.boats.electronics,rec.boats
Skip Gundlach Skip Gundlach is offline

Default VoIP (was) New Marine WiFi Product

Hi, Larry,

You've been sufficiently taken to task for most of what you wrote :{))
that I'll not repeat it. However...

Larry wrote:

(most snipped)

Calling long distance from your cellphone to a telephone outside your

and, there's the rub. If I'm not on a cell I'm out of communication,
whether or not I care about having a computer up all the time. As
you've frequently observed, power is our friend. When Engulf and
Devour isn't at hand to offer us all the power we care to pay for, some
of us have to watch our watts.

So, between the necessity of having a computer on line all the time and
needing some telephone to talk to it in order to make any call I
wouldn't otherwise just use the phone aforementioned, I think I'll
stick to this mode of telephony.

Vonage sucks.....(c;.....You may quote me!

Well, if you look at the little carat next to the above, I just did.
However, I - and any other respondents that I've seen - don't agree.

As it is, I'm about to drop my cell service. Despite their trumpeting,
in billboards all over town, their being the company with the fewest
dropped calls, my inability to get a Cingular (previously AT&T) signal
makes it nearly worthless, at least here. Of course, down island, it
would be worthless anyway, so this just accelerates the obvious - I
don't need a cell phone.

Of course, if I were running a service business, and I had good cell
coverage, I agree I'd need one. However, I'm hopeful I don't make
global (pardon the expression - Vonage works globally if you have a
wifi signal) statements about utility or suitability to a purpose...

I've found Vonage to be very valuable; were I still in a wired
environment, that's what I'd do, again. Any reading this who think
they agree, please drop me a note so I can refer you - we'll both get a
free month if you take the service...

L8R

Skip

Morgan 461 #2
SV Flying Pig KI4MPC
See our galleries at www.justpickone.org/skip/gallery!
Follow us at and

"Believe me, my young friend, there is *nothing*-absolutely
nothing-half so
much worth doing as simply messing, messing-about-in-boats; messing
about in
boats-or *with* boats.
In or out of 'em, it doesn't matter. Nothing seems really to matter,
that's
the charm of it.
Whether you get away, or whether you don't; whether you arrive at your
destination or whether you reach somewhere else, or whether you never
get
anywhere at all, you're always busy, and you never do anything in
particular; and when you've done it there's always something else to
do, and
you can do it if you like, but you'd much better not."

--
There's amazing intelligence in the Universe.
You can tell because none of them ever called Earth.