posted to rec.boats.electronics

Default Distress/ Diruptor Dk1600

You wrote in news:You-191D1D.10214322072006
@netnews.worldnet.att.net:

You can read a lot of stuff in the FAR's but what actually happens out
in bush is a Totally different thing. NOBODY maintains a listening
watch on 121.5Mhz while flying, they are all on the local Enroute
Frequency for the zone they are flying in. That frequency changes as
they pass from one zone to the next. Yea, if the USCG or AirForce,
come up and fly formation, they will switch to Guard to see what's up,
but they don't MONITOR Guard in the normal course of flying. Big
Commercial Jets also don't monitor Guard either. They have one radio
set on Center, one on the AirInc Channel for the zone they are in,
and if they have a third, it is on the Company Dispatch Channel
for the zone they are in. If there should be a need for High Flight
Comms to an area being overflown by a Big Boy, Center will have the
nearest BIg Boy call on the Enroute Frequency for the zone that they
suspect the intended aircraft is flying in and see if the High Flight
aircraft can communicate with the intended aircraft. This is never done
on Guard, as nobody is listening there, unless a SAR is running in that
area.

Rendering any 121.5 old EPIRB damned near useless....

On Sat, 22 Jul 2006 18:21:40 GMT, You wrote:

You can read a lot of stuff in the FAR's but what actually happens out
in bush is a Totally different thing. NOBODY maintains a listening
watch on 121.5Mhz while flying

I don't know what happens in the Alaska bush. I can tell you that in
the lower 48, east of the Mississippi (where I do most of my flying
these dayse), most folks - commercial and GA - have a radio tuned to
121.5. It is a post-9/11 / TFR / ADIZ thing.

Believe it or not. Your choce.
posted to rec.boats.electronics

Dave Anderer wrote in
:

Believe it or not. Your choce.

We're keeping a close eye on all those Cessna 150s, here in Charleston.

Automatic distress VHF radios Roger Long Cruising 40 January 28th 06 10:51 AM
Marine Radios Bob Electronics 13 August 7th 04 11:28 AM
need inexpensive marine ssb and ham radio for cruising sailboat. Eric Electronics 61 June 20th 04 04:58 PM
SOS Visual Distress Signal Eric General 8 April 30th 04 04:33 PM
SOS Distress Light Regulations Len Krauss Cruising 0 February 13th 04 02:25 AM