Roger Long

Default Automatic distress VHF radios

I was looking at one of the new VHF radios today that has a data plug
to connect to the GPS. It sends out a preformatted distress message
with the boat’s position when you push the panic button on the panel.

This seems like a great idea for someone who cruises with kids,
family, and friends. Even if they are trained and drilled in reading
the GPS and making radio calls, being able to immediately turn their
attention to the emergency, like getting the skipper back on board,
would be a plus. If there was a fire or sudden flooding, you could
evacuate the boat and the radio would keep broadcasting longer than a
person could stay on board. I know that direct communication is best
when possible but I can see circumstances where this could be a
lifesaver.

However, I’m wondering. Will the USCG just ignore calls like this
thinking, "Some kid hit a button again.", or wait for direct contact?

Does anybody have any direct experience, feedback, or blatheringly
inane and useless observations on these units?

--

Roger Long

just me

I'll blather a little on this one.
I bought an Icom 502 VHF with the RAM mic.
I really like it. I wish it would accept the SeaTalk from my Raymarine GPS
though. But I'm going to buy an NEMA GPS antenna and complete the
installation anyway. It just make too much sense.

Jack Dale

On Wed, 25 Jan 2006 00:59:48 GMT, "Roger Long"
wrote:

This is worth reading.

http://www.navcen.uscg.gov/marcomms/gmdss/dsc.htm

I am not sure about the US, but in Canada an endorsement to your VHF
Restricted Operator's Certificate is required. The Digital Selective
calling component is another plus.

Jack

Larry

"Roger Long" wrote in news:kszBf.114790$ME5.66716
@twister.nyroc.rr.com:

However, I'm wondering. Will the USCG just ignore calls like this
thinking, "Some kid hit a button again.", or wait for direct contact?

If the CG has the channel 70 capability at all.....and watches it.

The emergency declaration money is MUCH better spent on the best GPS-
equipped 406 Mhz EPIRB you can get. Then, you don't lose the
communications, just because the boat sank or the batteries got flooded.
If the boat sinks, suddenly, all you need to is throw the seawater-
activated 406 Mhz EPIRB overboard, tied off to your liferaft, and it
activates itself, sending your boat information, exact position, etc., to
the overhead cluster of LEO satellites, anywhere on the planet. NOONE
ignores a 406 EPIRB event. EVERYONE ignores a 121.5 Mhz EPIRB event
because so many go off by themselves in parked airplanes and there's no
satellite system backing them up.

I wouldn't sail offshore without a 406 EPIRB aboard. It's stupid after
so much effort was put into making the system work so well, just to save
the sailor a few hundred dollars....

Ours is attached to the end of the ditchbag, always at hand.

It also has a strobe that will blind you for when the chopper is close to
pick up the dead bodies.

The emergency VHF button is a waste of time because you'll be out of
range when you need it most. 406 EPIRB is NEVER out of range....even in
Kansas, Dorothy.

Roger Long

"Larry" wrote The emergency VHF button is a waste
of time because you'll be out of
range when you need it most.

True, but I'm just looking at coastal sailing in Maine at this point.
There are a lot of boats around and many of them commercial and USCG
inspected so it's pretty likely someone will pick up the signal.

Offshore, the 406 certainly. The 125.5's really are useless. I used
to be in the Civil Air Patrol and they couldn't even find them when
they were going off on the airport.

--

Roger Long

Wayne.B

On Wed, 25 Jan 2006 01:26:39 GMT, "Roger Long"
wrote:

True, but I'm just looking at coastal sailing in Maine at this point.
There are a lot of boats around and many of them commercial and USCG
inspected so it's pretty likely someone will pick up the signal.

Coastal Maine there is always someone around on channel 16. It's
really difficult to get out of sight of at least several working
lobster boats in my experience. You have to speak their language of
course, ayep.

scott

Ok, here is a direct observation - last weekend we were sailing offshore
between Cape Fear and the St. John's River and heard a VHF CH 16 Coast Guard
"Pan Pan Pan. We have received a DSC distress signal from an unidentified
vessel at an unknown location. All vessels are requested to report any
information . . .etc." Or words more or less to that effect. This was
repeated a few times but then that was the end of it. So, the Coast Guard
*is* listening for DSC emergency signals at at least some locations. And,
the DSC service is useless unless the owner goes to the trouble to register
it. In this case, who knows -- childsplay, drunken tomfoolery, a mistake,
or maybe even a legitimate distress call from an unregistered radio.
Scott

"Dave" wrote in message
On Wed, 25 Jan 2006 00:17:20 GMT, "Roger Long" said:

However, I'm wondering. Will the USCG just ignore calls like this
thinking, "Some kid hit a button again.", or wait for direct contact?

Dunno about the model you looked at, but on mine, at least, you have to
lift
a plastic tab to get at the button, so a kid has to be trying if he's to
hit
the button.

Larry

Dave wrote in
:

On the contrary, many if not most of us do our cruising within VHF
range of at least some other vessels. And since the radios
automatically pick up transmissions on Channel 70, all you need is
another vessel with the capability in the vicinity.

You are aware that ships on automatic don't even have people on the bridge
to hear it, right? Call 'em on the radio on 16 and see if you can raise
'em.

Those other boats are monitoring their "fishing channel", talking to their
buddies. None of them have full-blown Channel 70 GMDSS systems. If they
have any DSC at all, it's transmit-only just like yours.

The 406 EPIRB isn't by chance that someone will listen......

You just need to determine if life is worth the money.