Peter Bennett

Default Automatic distress VHF radios

On Wed, 25 Jan 2006 01:12:02 GMT, Jack Dale
wrote:

On Wed, 25 Jan 2006 00:59:48 GMT, "Roger Long"
wrote:

This is worth reading.

http://www.navcen.uscg.gov/marcomms/gmdss/dsc.htm

I am not sure about the US, but in Canada an endorsement to your VHF
Restricted Operator's Certificate is required. The Digital Selective
calling component is another plus.

Jack

No - a DSC endorsment is not required in Canada (not yet, anyway), but
all new operator certificates will include a DSC endorsement.
Canadian Power Squadrons does offer a separate manual and exam for the
DSC endorsment for current holders of an operator's certificate.

--
Peter Bennett VE7CEI
email: peterbb4 (at) interchange.ubc.ca
Peter Bennett

On Wed, 25 Jan 2006 07:05:34 -0500, Larry wrote:

You are aware that ships on automatic don't even have people on the bridge
to hear it, right? Call 'em on the radio on 16 and see if you can raise
'em.

But if you call them on 70 with DSC, an alarm will sound.

Those other boats are monitoring their "fishing channel", talking to their
buddies. None of them have full-blown Channel 70 GMDSS systems. If they
have any DSC at all, it's transmit-only just like yours.

Even the primitive SC-101 grade DSC radios will receive DSC calls if
enabled, and will sound an alarm for distress calls.

Unfortunately, some SC-101 radios come with the channel 70 receive
function disabled.

The 406 EPIRB isn't by chance that someone will listen......

I understand that it may take an hour or more after an EPIRB is
activated before the appropriate authorities are notified. DSC
notification is immediate.

IMPORTANT!! - the DSC distress call (and other DSC calling functions)
WILL NOT work unless an MMSI is programmed into the radio. Also, the
radio should be connected to a GPS receiver to permit it to provide
your correct position.

--
Peter Bennett VE7CEI
email: peterbb4 (at) interchange.ubc.ca
GPS and NMEA info and programs: http://vancouver-webpages.com/peter/index.html
Newsgroup new user info: http://vancouver-webpages.com/nnq
Peter Bennett

On 24 Jan 2006 20:07:01 -0600, Dave wrote:

On Wed, 25 Jan 2006 00:17:20 GMT, "Roger Long" said:

However, I’m wondering. Will the USCG just ignore calls like this
thinking, "Some kid hit a button again.", or wait for direct contact?

Dunno about the model you looked at, but on mine, at least, you have to lift
a plastic tab to get at the button, so a kid has to be trying if he's to hit
the button.

On the radios I've looked at, you also have to hold the button for a
few seconds, and/or do it twice, before the distress call is sent.

--
Peter Bennett VE7CEI
email: peterbb4 (at) interchange.ubc.ca
GPS and NMEA info and programs: http://vancouver-webpages.com/peter/index.html
Newsgroup new user info: http://vancouver-webpages.com/nnq

You are aware that ships on automatic don't even have people
on the bridge to hear it, right? Call 'em on the radio on 16
and see if you can raise 'em.

Larry... I spend a considerable amount of time on a small container
ship that runs from the West Coast to several regular ports of call in
the South Pacific. It takes us almost thirty (30) days (most of which
is sea time) to complete a round.

Any how... while at sea... even though we are on auto pilot... we
*always* maintain a bridge watch 24 hours a day. The Master and
the two senior deck officers maintain shifts inorder to do so. Theo-
retically... an A.B. is on the bridge as well... but they are never
present... unless we go off A.P. then they assume the helmsman
duties.

Never the less... the watch is kind of a joke... especially way out
to sea in very lightly traveled shipping lanes... such as ours.

Note: We maintain an approximate heading of 202 degrees from
the time we leave the Golden Gate to outside of Papeete.

Often as not... the bridge duty officer is preoccuppied with constant
paper work and on going questions that are generated over the air
waves by the charter much less the ship's owner. The VHF unit may
or may not be on...and if so... the squelch threshhold level is set
so high... that an outside party would have to be right next door...
to break through.

So the laypersons perception of a typical bridge watch... the duty
officer walking around with binocular in hand... constantly scanning
the surrounding seas about him... tain't necessaryily so... at least
when far out to sea.

A MOB situation is even more distressing (no pun intended). Beside
not having the time to constantly view the immediate area around the
ship... spotting such a victim is not that easy. From the heights
of the bridge your are but a small speck in the ocean to the naked
eye... and it would probably be just pure luck to be observed.

Just my two cents worth... relative to manned bridge watches.

Bill

Bruce in Alaska

In article ,
Dave wrote:

On Wed, 25 Jan 2006 07:05:34 -0500, Larry said:

If they
have any DSC at all, it's transmit-only just like yours.

Perhaps you could explain the following from the manual for one of the
common VHF units:

"Receiving an All Ships Call
If you are currently on a selected working channel or private channel, in
the Monitor mode, or in the Scan mode, the radio automatically enters
DSC mode when an All Ships Call is received. The type of call is displayed
in the small channel display and an alarm is sounded.

Press the DSC/PRI key once and the radio automatically selects channel
16. There is no acknowledge required for an All Ships Call. If you do not
wish to accept the call, press the 16 key to exit the DSC mode."

Yep, the above IS correct. However, look at what it really says.....
"IF" you are in the "Monitor Mode", or the "SCAN Mode" then your radio
will respond to a DSC Call, but only IF it isn't already receiving on
another channel, AND the DSC Call lasts long enough for the scan rate of
the receiver to get to Ch 70, and decode a complete DSC Sentance....
otherwise you don't get any indication that a DSC Call was ever received.
Are you willing to BET your LIFE, that other boaters IN your area,
understand how to correctly operate their DSC equiped radio, AND
will respond to your call? This IS Exactly Why, the 406 EPIRB is
required equipment on any FVSA Compulsury Required Vessels AND any
SOLAS Required Vessels, and is the PRIMARY Distress Notification
Device aboard. It WORKS, and has a Proven SAR Track Record.

Bruce in alaska
--
add a 2 before @

Now you've done it! Shot down the whole basis for the constant
claims of the know-it-all crowd that bridges on commercial vessels
aren't manned much of the time.

Dave... My knowledge of the SOP of bridge watches aboard commercial
vessels in general... is very limited. It could well be that some
Masters *are* rather lax about bridge duty while underway out in the
middle of nowhere and on auto pilot.

I am only familiar with the container ship that I hang out with. And
yeh they do the 24 thing... but subject to the distractions that I
posted earlier. I suspect too... that in the middle of the night and
early morning hours things can get a little sleepy up there... if you
get my drift. I know our wheel house though very spacious... was
quite comfortable and cozy as well. (smile)

I failed to mention this little bit of nautical trivia in my earlier
posting. The engine room no longer has to be personally manned
24 hours like it use to be. This may be where some of the confusion
has come from relative to unmanned duty stations.

The chief engineering officer and his crew have computer alarm
systems in their personal accomodations that are activated when
they are done for the day down below. The electrical engineer's
(who's part of the "blackgang") cabin was right next to mine... and
often I would hear that alarm going off during the night for one mec-
hanical problem or another. Then followed by the chief engineers
pitter patter of foot steps running down the stair well to supervise
the incident.

Or if you didn't hear the alarms... another attention getter was to
wake up in the middle of the night and experience total silence...
the engine has shut down. You get so use to the rumble of the
engine and propeller shaft... that the silence is almost deafen-
ing... so to speak. One thing about it though... you knew the
engine crew had a problem going on. If necessary... soon the
back up engine(s) would be started up and at least our electrical
capabilities would be reinstated... until such time the "main"
could be fired up and we could get underway again.

Note: On this particular vessel the main engine not only propelled
the ship but provided the electrical as well. The two back ups
were not operational at sea (only in port)... or per the aforemen-
tioned circumstances.

Bill

Gary

Bruce in Alaska wrote:
In article ,
Dave wrote:

[...]

When you compare VHF radios with EPIRBs you are comparing apples and
oranges. VHF radios are for short range comms including distress and
calling. (even the DSC ones) EPIRB are locator beacons used to help
find the beacon (hopefully associated with an emergency) EPIRBs are not
designed to be tossed over the side willy nilly for fire and flood or
what ever. They won't let the guy two miles off your starboard quarter
know you have a problem. VHF will.

Gaz