Default Automatic distress VHF radios

Now you've done it! Shot down the whole basis for the constant
claims of the know-it-all crowd that bridges on commercial vessels
aren't manned much of the time.

Dave... My knowledge of the SOP of bridge watches aboard commercial
vessels in general... is very limited. It could well be that some
Masters *are* rather lax about bridge duty while underway out in the
middle of nowhere and on auto pilot.

I am only familiar with the container ship that I hang out with. And
yeh they do the 24 thing... but subject to the distractions that I
posted earlier. I suspect too... that in the middle of the night and
early morning hours things can get a little sleepy up there... if you
get my drift. I know our wheel house though very spacious... was
quite comfortable and cozy as well. (smile)

I failed to mention this little bit of nautical trivia in my earlier
posting. The engine room no longer has to be personally manned
24 hours like it use to be. This may be where some of the confusion
has come from relative to unmanned duty stations.

The chief engineering officer and his crew have computer alarm
systems in their personal accomodations that are activated when
they are done for the day down below. The electrical engineer's
(who's part of the "blackgang") cabin was right next to mine... and
often I would hear that alarm going off during the night for one mec-
hanical problem or another. Then followed by the chief engineers
pitter patter of foot steps running down the stair well to supervise
the incident.

Or if you didn't hear the alarms... another attention getter was to
wake up in the middle of the night and experience total silence...
the engine has shut down. You get so use to the rumble of the
engine and propeller shaft... that the silence is almost deafen-
ing... so to speak. One thing about it though... you knew the
engine crew had a problem going on. If necessary... soon the
back up engine(s) would be started up and at least our electrical
capabilities would be reinstated... until such time the "main"
could be fired up and we could get underway again.

Note: On this particular vessel the main engine not only propelled
the ship but provided the electrical as well. The two back ups
were not operational at sea (only in port)... or per the aforemen-
tioned circumstances.

Bill