Roger Long

Default Automatic distress VHF radios

--

Roger Long

"Roger Long" wrote in message
.. .
I was looking at one of the new VHF radios today that has a data plug
to connect to the GPS. It sends out a preformatted distress message
with the boat's position when you push the panic button on the panel.

This seems like a great idea for someone who cruises with kids,
family, and friends. Even if they are trained and drilled in reading
the GPS and making radio calls, being able to immediately turn their
attention to the emergency, like getting the skipper back on board,
would be a plus. If there was a fire or sudden flooding, you could
evacuate the boat and the radio would keep broadcasting longer than
a person could stay on board. I know that direct communication is
best when possible but I can see circumstances where this could be a
lifesaver.

However, I'm wondering. Will the USCG just ignore calls like this
thinking, "Some kid hit a button again.", or wait for direct
contact?

Does anybody have any direct experience, feedback, or blatheringly
inane and useless observations on these units?

--

Roger Long