posted to rec.boats.electronics
b393capt

Default How to configure E-80 so boat speed does not matter ?

I have dual E-80's. One at the helm and the other at the nav station.
My Raymarine E-80 isn't receiving boat speed & wind information from my
other Raymarine instruments. Some of the E-80 functions are effected,
such as MARPA.

It's not practical to chase down wiring issues for a few weeks at
least.

1) Is there a quick fix to tell my E-80 to use SOG (from GPS) instead ?
2) Is there a way to get my E-80 to display traffic it see's on the bus
connected to my other instruments ?

posted to rec.boats.electronics
TomS

I don't belive that you need boatspeed for the MARPA, just
a heading data. If one of the E's is connected to other SeaTalk
instruments and you have the SeaTalkHS (=ethernet) cable
connected between your two E's and if you get the radar image and/or
chart image transfered from one E to the other E you should also get
whatever regular SeaTalk data on both displays.

The display set as data master would be the display with the radar antenna
connected and also this display would be the one that is interfaced to the
"outside world". The other E display would not need anything else than
power and SeaTalkHS (=ethernet). This configuration requires the master
E to be turned on if you want to use your slave, since any waypoint made
on the slave goes out via the data master to the SeaTalk bus.

For extra safety on a yacht equipped with Raymarine sailing instruments,
Raymarine GPS and Raymarine autopilot it is wise to connect SeaTalk to
both/all E displays. This way one can set either display as data master if
one of the would fail. Meaning that you still get SeaTalk GPS data in to
one of your E's and also can drive the pilot from one of your E's, even
if the other is broken. Only one E at a time can be set as data master and
it is throug the master the E's speak to other SeaTalk equipment.

TomS

"b393capt" wrote in message
oups.com...
I have dual E-80's. One at the helm and the other at the nav station.
My Raymarine E-80 isn't receiving boat speed & wind information from my
other Raymarine instruments. Some of the E-80 functions are effected,
such as MARPA.

It's not practical to chase down wiring issues for a few weeks at
least.

1) Is there a quick fix to tell my E-80 to use SOG (from GPS) instead ?
2) Is there a way to get my E-80 to display traffic it see's on the bus
connected to my other instruments ?

posted to rec.boats.electronics
b393capt

MARPA shows vector's and speeds of other boats, that are wrong. After
observing a couple of boats, best I can tell is that MARPA thinks my
boat speed is zero. For example I am catching up to a boat in front of
me, we are both heading east. I expect MARPA shows that boat as heading
east at 5 knots (I am moving at about 7 knots). Instead MARPA shows the
heading of the other boat to me in my direction (270 degrees) at 2
knots, a speed roughly equal to the speed our boats are closing
relative to each other.

Dan

posted to rec.boats.electronics
Jack Erbes

b393capt wrote:
MARPA shows vector's and speeds of other boats, that are wrong. After
observing a couple of boats, best I can tell is that MARPA thinks my
boat speed is zero. For example I am catching up to a boat in front of
me, we are both heading east. I expect MARPA shows that boat as heading
east at 5 knots (I am moving at about 7 knots). Instead MARPA shows the
heading of the other boat to me in my direction (270 degrees) at 2
knots, a speed roughly equal to the speed our boats are closing
relative to each other.

It sounds to me like MARPA is working right. All speeds and vectors are
relative you yours.

It may be that it is a MARPA configuration option to display either
apparent speed or speed over ground on targets and that you are
configured to see the latter.

Jack

--
Jack Erbes in Ellsworth, Maine, USA - jackerbes at adelphia dot net
(also receiving email at jacker at midmaine.com)
posted to rec.boats.electronics
Bill Kearney

I have dual E-80's. One at the helm and the other at the nav station.
My Raymarine E-80 isn't receiving boat speed & wind information from my
other Raymarine instruments. Some of the E-80 functions are effected,
such as MARPA.

Have you updated them to the latest firmware?

posted to rec.boats.electronics
b393capt

Yes, I have updated to 3.21

I am certain something is wrong, because I have use the MARPA feature
on either a C-80 or an E-80 on another boat before.

Dan

Bill Kearney wrote:
I have dual E-80's. One at the helm and the other at the nav station.
My Raymarine E-80 isn't receiving boat speed & wind information from my
other Raymarine instruments. Some of the E-80 functions are effected,
such as MARPA.

Have you updated them to the latest firmware?

posted to rec.boats.electronics

If my memory serves me right when you turn one E-80 in a master and the
other a slave the Sea talk connections on the slave turn off. Hence
you have to run all your seatalk connections to the Master e-80. On my
Beneteau , the initial system had the GPS sea-talked to the charft
table E-80 and the wind/depth/spped instruments connected to the helm
E-80. I found I could have either GPS data or wind/depth/temp.

It could be thats your problem.

b393capt wrote:
I have dual E-80's. One at the helm and the other at the nav station.
My Raymarine E-80 isn't receiving boat speed & wind information from my
other Raymarine instruments. Some of the E-80 functions are effected,
such as MARPA.

It's not practical to chase down wiring issues for a few weeks at
least.

1) Is there a quick fix to tell my E-80 to use SOG (from GPS) instead ?
2) Is there a way to get my E-80 to display traffic it see's on the bus
connected to my other instruments ?

Interesting boat ride on a 26 Twin Vee [email protected] General 5 March 29th 06 05:58 AM
rec.boats.paddle sea kayaking FAQ [email protected] General 0 March 20th 06 05:33 AM
Hey Doug check this out Joe ASA 15 January 13th 06 11:10 PM
rec.boats.paddle sea kayaking FAQ [email protected] General 0 December 19th 05 05:37 AM
Need a Plan to Protect Boat from UV and Mildew All Year Round - 2 [email protected] General 2 December 15th 05 06:25 AM