posted to rec.boats.electronics
Gordon

Default Autopilot

Who makes a good autopilot that doesn't use a propriatory bus? Need a
plain vanilla type nmea type.
Thanks
Gordon
--

Ask not for whom the terrorist bell tolls; it tolls for thee, and thee, and
thee--for decent, innocent people everywhere.

posted to rec.boats.electronics
Steve Lusardi

Gordon,
I don't know, but I need one as well that I can select the NMEA heading
sentence source and not have to use an included device. I have my heading
devices already and my reversable pump and cylinder.
Steve

"Gordon" wrote in message
Who makes a good autopilot that doesn't use a propriatory bus? Need a
plain vanilla type nmea type.
Thanks
Gordon
--

Ask not for whom the terrorist bell tolls; it tolls for thee, and thee,
and
thee--for decent, innocent people everywhere.

posted to rec.boats.electronics
Pascal

Try NAVMAN
http://www.navman.com/marine/product...nts/index.html
It has all with NMEA

Pascal

Gordon escreveu:

Who makes a good autopilot that doesn't use a propriatory bus? Need a
plain vanilla type nmea type.
Thanks
Gordon
--

Ask not for whom the terrorist bell tolls; it tolls for thee, and thee, and
thee--for decent, innocent people everywhere.

posted to rec.boats.electronics
John Proctor

On 2006-03-26 06:32:21 +1100, "Bjarke Christensen"
(nej, det skal selvfølgelig være med K da jeg
er dansker) said:

Dont most of them do both? Their own proprietary and plain nmea...

Bjarke

"Gordon" wrote in message
Who makes a good autopilot that doesn't use a propriatory bus? Need a
plain vanilla type nmea type.
Thanks
Gordon
--

Ask not for whom the terrorist bell tolls; it tolls for thee, and thee, and
thee--for decent, innocent people everywhere.

Certainly all the Raymarine corepack (s1, s2 and s3) support both NMEA
as well as Seatalk. The corepacks have 1 NMEA in and out as well as 2
seatalk i/fs.

--
Regards,
John D Proctor

posted to rec.boats.electronics
Bjarke Christensen

Yes, my Raym tillerpilot does take nmea as well....

Bjarke

posted to rec.boats.electronics
Wayne.B

On Sat, 25 Mar 2006 08:07:23 -0800, "Gordon"
wrote:

Who makes a good autopilot that doesn't use a propriatory bus? Need a
plain vanilla type nmea type.

Simrad/Robertson AP-35.

posted to rec.boats.electronics
Steve Lusardi

Bjarke,
No they don't. Most yacht units force you to use their fluxgate compass as a
heading input. Commercial units have a selector function and they can accept
step, sine/cosine, servo/resolver and others. The yacht unit I have seen
only use their own fluxgate. That's why I asked the question.
Steve

. dk...

"Gordon" wrote in message
Who makes a good autopilot that doesn't use a propriatory bus? Need a
plain vanilla type nmea type.
Thanks
Gordon
--

Ask not for whom the terrorist bell tolls; it tolls for thee, and thee,
and
thee--for decent, innocent people everywhere.

posted to rec.boats.electronics
Kees Verruijt

Steve Lusardi wrote:
Bjarke,
No they don't. Most yacht units force you to use their fluxgate compass as a
heading input. Commercial units have a selector function and they can accept
step, sine/cosine, servo/resolver and others. The yacht unit I have seen
only use their own fluxgate. That's why I asked the question.
Steve

As mentioned earlier the Raymarine corepacks do NOT need their own
fluxgate and WILL accept heading from NMEA, including fast heading (10
msg/s) from a decent source. They also accept analog heading change from
a gyro, but at a fixed input voltage/degree/sec.

Just curious -- which "yacht units" have you seen that only use their
own fluxgate that are suited to be rigged with external pumps?

--
Kees

posted to rec.boats.electronics
Steve Lusardi

Brooks and Gatehouse for one. The B&G units have there own fluxgate and
unique interface with no facility for an external HDG source. For your
information, most Gyros do not have Sine/Cosine outputs. They can be had as
options, but are VERY expensive. This is true for SPERRY and ANSCHUTZ for
sure. Sine/Cosine is the standard interface for a fluxgate though. Gyros use
3phase Step (Commercial) and Servo/Resolver (Military). Commercial
autopilots have a select feature to use multiple inputs for HDG on a
selector switch like Gyro 1, Gyro 2, Sat Compass, etc, as well as the
ability to configure for each one. Thanks for the Raymarine tip though, as I
recall, Raymarine has 2 lines, commercial and yacht. Do the yacht models
have the NMEA HDG input as well?
Steve