posted to rec.boats.electronics
TomS

Default Autopilot

Yes this is correct the B&G ACP1 and ACP2 does not have NMEA heading input.
But, in a B&G system it is possible to connect NMEA heading to:
1. the main processor (new type)
2. a NMEA FFD
3. performance processor
4. a gyro processor

TomS

"Steve Lusardi" wrote in message
Brooks and Gatehouse for one. The B&G units have there own fluxgate and
unique interface with no facility for an external HDG source. For your
information, most Gyros do not have Sine/Cosine outputs. They can be had
as options, but are VERY expensive. This is true for SPERRY and ANSCHUTZ
for sure. Sine/Cosine is the standard interface for a fluxgate though.
Gyros use 3phase Step (Commercial) and Servo/Resolver (Military).
Commercial autopilots have a select feature to use multiple inputs for HDG
on a selector switch like Gyro 1, Gyro 2, Sat Compass, etc, as well as the
ability to configure for each one. Thanks for the Raymarine tip though, as
I recall, Raymarine has 2 lines, commercial and yacht. Do the yacht models
have the NMEA HDG input as well?
Steve

"Kees Verruijt" wrote in message
Steve Lusardi wrote:
Bjarke,
No they don't. Most yacht units force you to use their fluxgate compass
as a heading input. Commercial units have a selector function and they
can accept step, sine/cosine, servo/resolver and others. The yacht unit
I have seen only use their own fluxgate. That's why I asked the
question.
Steve

As mentioned earlier the Raymarine corepacks do NOT need their own
fluxgate and WILL accept heading from NMEA, including fast heading (10
msg/s) from a decent source. They also accept analog heading change from
a gyro, but at a fixed input voltage/degree/sec.

Just curious -- which "yacht units" have you seen that only use their own
fluxgate that are suited to be rigged with external pumps?

--
Kees

posted to rec.boats.electronics
Steve Lusardi

Here is another news flash, it appears Raymarine also does not accept
external HDG input according to their catalog. It appears Furuno does, but
the input is proprietary for their SC50 Sat Compass.

Steve Lusardi wrote:
Bjarke,
No they don't. Most yacht units force you to use their fluxgate compass
as a heading input. Commercial units have a selector function and they
can accept step, sine/cosine, servo/resolver and others. The yacht unit I
have seen only use their own fluxgate. That's why I asked the question.
Steve

As mentioned earlier the Raymarine corepacks do NOT need their own
fluxgate and WILL accept heading from NMEA, including fast heading (10
msg/s) from a decent source. They also accept analog heading change from a
gyro, but at a fixed input voltage/degree/sec.

Just curious -- which "yacht units" have you seen that only use their own
fluxgate that are suited to be rigged with external pumps?

--
Kees

posted to rec.boats.electronics
Glenn Ashmore

If you want a rock solid easy to understand AP check out the WH AP-4 system.
The panel is not cute plastic but it is extremely reliable and has just
about all the bells and whistles. WH APs are pretty standard on a lot of
Alaskan fishing boats. Dashew swears by them if that means anything and if
you are into high tech navigation it works with Stan Honey's polar optimizer
software. Best of all when you call you are very likely talking to Wil Hamm
the owner.

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

"Gordon" wrote in message
Who makes a good autopilot that doesn't use a propriatory bus? Need a
plain vanilla type nmea type.
Thanks
Gordon
--

Ask not for whom the terrorist bell tolls; it tolls for thee, and thee,
and

posted to rec.boats.electronics
Kees Verruijt

Steve Lusardi wrote:
Here is another news flash, it appears Raymarine also does not accept
external HDG input according to their catalog. It appears Furuno does, but
the input is proprietary for their SC50 Sat Compass.
Steve

I don't know where you are getting your information from, but the manual
for the 150/150G/400/400G autopilot course computers
http://www.raymarine.com/raymarine/S...150_400_CC.pdf
explicitly says on page 45 (PDF count) / page 36 (paper) that HDG, HDM
and HDT are accepted as inputs on NMEA inputs 1 and 2.

--
Kees

posted to rec.boats.electronics
Steve Lusardi

Kees,
Thanks for the reference. This info is NOT in the current catalog.

Steve Lusardi wrote:
Here is another news flash, it appears Raymarine also does not accept
external HDG input according to their catalog. It appears Furuno does,
but the input is proprietary for their SC50 Sat Compass.
Steve

I don't know where you are getting your information from, but the manual
for the 150/150G/400/400G autopilot course computers
http://www.raymarine.com/raymarine/S...150_400_CC.pdf
explicitly says on page 45 (PDF count) / page 36 (paper) that HDG, HDM and
HDT are accepted as inputs on NMEA inputs 1 and 2.

--
Kees

posted to rec.boats.electronics
Steve Lusardi

Thanks for the info Glenn. I have sent a query and we will see what he says.
I am really not into high tech, just solid, commercial quality, servicable
equipment. I'm looking hard at the Sperry Navipilot V, but I think it is
going to be expensive. I have just picked up a Sperry Navistar Compass and
my boat budget is severely dented.
Steve