posted to rec.boats.electronics
Len

Default Charging batteries simultaneously with both solar and wind

I am looking for a solution for the fact that a regulator shuts off
charging current when it measures say a 14 volts on the circuit.

I have a windgenny that charges with 14,4 volts in bulk-fase.
That causes the solarpanels not to charge at all cause their regulator
measures this 14,4 volts and decide(s) "the battery is already
full"...

I hate to split up my housebank in parts / don't like
battery-isolators or relais.
I also don't like to fool a regulator by forced voltage drops so it
keeps on charging (at one moment the battery will really be full...).

Is there some "many"-watts charger with multiple in-ports that will
make use of all power offered by the various sources simultaneously?

Thanks, Len.

posted to rec.boats.electronics
Brent Geery

On Mon, 06 Mar 2006 19:03:42 +0100, Len
wrote:

I am looking for a solution for the fact that a regulator shuts off
charging current when it measures say a 14 volts on the circuit.

I have a windgenny that charges with 14,4 volts in bulk-fase.
That causes the solarpanels not to charge at all cause their regulator
measures this 14,4 volts and decide(s) "the battery is already
full"...

That's exactly what should happen. What's the problem? You can't
force more current into the batteries without causing the battery
voltage to climb higher and boil off your battery electrolyte. That's
what the regulators are trying to avoid.

I hate to split up my housebank in parts / don't like
battery-isolators or relais.
I also don't like to fool a regulator by forced voltage drops so it
keeps on charging (at one moment the battery will really be full...).

Is there some "many"-watts charger with multiple in-ports that will
make use of all power offered by the various sources simultaneously?

Thanks, Len.

Yours already do, up until the batteries reach regulation voltage.
Just make sure the voltage set points are the same for all charging
sources; temperature compensated types are best.

If you want to take advantage of your surplus electricity, that
electricity that your batteries can't accept, switch to a
diversion-type charge controller.

With a diversion type regulator when the batteries reach the voltage
set-point it will connect a resistance load to the batteries that
counters any excess electricity and burns it up as heat. You can have
free water and/or cabin heat.

--
BRENT - The Usenet typo king.
posted to rec.boats.electronics
Len

wrote:

I am looking for a solution for the fact that a regulator shuts off
charging current when it measures say a 14 volts on the circuit.

I have a windgenny that charges with 14,4 volts in bulk-fase.
That causes the solarpanels not to charge at all cause their regulator
measures this 14,4 volts and decide(s) "the battery is already
full"...

That's exactly what should happen. What's the problem? You can't
force more current into the batteries without causing the battery
voltage to climb higher and boil off your battery electrolyte. That's
what the regulators are trying to avoid.

With a 1000 Ah Bank, with batt charge status say at 60%, voltage in
bulk stage is 14,4, current from the wind genny is say 15 amps. In
that case I'd' like the additional 12 amps from my solar panels to
help doing the job I put them up for, but the regulator keeps them
form doing so.
Len.
posted to rec.boats.electronics
Meindert Sprang

"Len" wrote in message

With a 1000 Ah Bank, with batt charge status say at 60%, voltage in
bulk stage is 14,4, current from the wind genny is say 15 amps. In
that case I'd' like the additional 12 amps from my solar panels to
help doing the job I put them up for, but the regulator keeps them
form doing so.

Hi Len (I'll answer your e-mail later),
I don't think that the voltage is 14.4 at 60% charge. The 14.4V is the point
where the bulk charge should stop. But during the bulk stage, the voltage
slowly rises from whatever value to 14.4V while the current is say 15A.
during that period, the current from the solar panels could contribute but
the moment the voltage reaches 14.4V you're at about 80% charge and the
system should change to equalize stage with a voltage of 13.8V.

Meindert

posted to rec.boats.electronics
Len

On Tue, 7 Mar 2006 08:09:06 +0100, "Meindert Sprang"
wrote:

"Len" wrote in message
.. .

With a 1000 Ah Bank, with batt charge status say at 60%, voltage in
bulk stage is 14,4, current from the wind genny is say 15 amps. In
that case I'd' like the additional 12 amps from my solar panels to
help doing the job I put them up for, but the regulator keeps them
form doing so.

Hi Len (I'll answer your e-mail later),
I don't think that the voltage is 14.4 at 60% charge. The 14.4V is the point
where the bulk charge should stop. But during the bulk stage, the voltage
slowly rises from whatever value to 14.4V while the current is say 15A.
during that period, the current from the solar panels could contribute but
the moment the voltage reaches 14.4V you're at about 80% charge and the
system should change to equalize stage with a voltage of 13.8V.

Meindert

Okay..... thanks.... I needed that..... I was (obv. erroneously)
convinced bulk charging was executed by forcing a voltage of 14,4 v...
So... (your remark is slowly being processed and internalised), there
is no "competition" between sources or regulators whatsoever, right up
to the moment the battery reaches a 80% charge?
I am looking forward to your email.... :-)
Len.