posted to rec.boats.electronics
Brent Geery

Default Charging batteries simultaneously with both solar and wind

On Mon, 06 Mar 2006 19:03:42 +0100, Len
wrote:

I am looking for a solution for the fact that a regulator shuts off
charging current when it measures say a 14 volts on the circuit.

I have a windgenny that charges with 14,4 volts in bulk-fase.
That causes the solarpanels not to charge at all cause their regulator
measures this 14,4 volts and decide(s) "the battery is already
full"...

That's exactly what should happen. What's the problem? You can't
force more current into the batteries without causing the battery
voltage to climb higher and boil off your battery electrolyte. That's
what the regulators are trying to avoid.

I hate to split up my housebank in parts / don't like
battery-isolators or relais.
I also don't like to fool a regulator by forced voltage drops so it
keeps on charging (at one moment the battery will really be full...).

Is there some "many"-watts charger with multiple in-ports that will
make use of all power offered by the various sources simultaneously?

Thanks, Len.

Yours already do, up until the batteries reach regulation voltage.
Just make sure the voltage set points are the same for all charging
sources; temperature compensated types are best.

If you want to take advantage of your surplus electricity, that
electricity that your batteries can't accept, switch to a
diversion-type charge controller.

With a diversion type regulator when the batteries reach the voltage
set-point it will connect a resistance load to the batteries that
counters any excess electricity and burns it up as heat. You can have
free water and/or cabin heat.

--
BRENT - The Usenet typo king.