posted to rec.boats.electronics
daddyo

Default garmin & nobletec

I've just bought an older boat with a Garmin 128 belowdecks, no GPS in
the cockpit. Can I use the Nobletec software on a laptop to
synchronize the 128 and a new handheld I'd put in the cockpit? There
are waypoints on the 128 I'd like to move over, and also would like to
plot course below at night and move waypoints to the handheld in the
cockpit for use underway. This is especially important since I'll
often be single-handing. Thanks1

posted to rec.boats.electronics
Matt Colie

Daddyo,

The only time I ran any Nobeltec anything, it did not do very good job
of handling waypoint data for use in the GPS.

If you want to transfer less than 100, download the free version of
GPSUtility. You will have to locate of build cables.

If you want to do more than that, buy a license, download the charts you
want as raster and the use the downloaded SeaClear to make the BSB
charts into *.bmp so they can be calibrated and used in GPSU.

You will also want GPSU to load all the new waypoints in the hand held.
Link the old 128 to the new DSC-VHF you should get.

Matt Colie

daddyo wrote:
I've just bought an older boat with a Garmin 128 belowdecks, no GPS in
the cockpit. Can I use the Nobletec software on a laptop to
synchronize the 128 and a new handheld I'd put in the cockpit? There
are waypoints on the 128 I'd like to move over, and also would like to
plot course below at night and move waypoints to the handheld in the
cockpit for use underway. This is especially important since I'll
often be single-handing. Thanks1

posted to rec.boats.electronics
Jack Erbes

daddyo wrote:

I've just bought an older boat with a Garmin 128 belowdecks, no GPS in
the cockpit. Can I use the Nobletec software on a laptop to
synchronize the 128 and a new handheld I'd put in the cockpit? There
are waypoints on the 128 I'd like to move over, and also would like to
plot course below at night and move waypoints to the handheld in the
cockpit for use underway. This is especially important since I'll
often be single-handing. Thanks1

That is a pretty basic, non-mapping, GPS but it does have good
capabilities for routes and waypoints. I'd think it would be more
useful in the cockpit than down below though.

If you need them, the specs, manual, NMEA port wiring diagrams, etc.,
can be downloaded he

http://www.garmin.com/products/gps128/

If you connect the NMEA out wires from the 128 to a serial port on your
laptop Nobletec should be able to use it. You could have the 128
mounted at the helm and run a cable down below decks to the laptop. If
your laptop is USB only, you can use serial to USB adapter at the laptop.

Garmin sell a routes and waypoint manager called Route & Waypoint
Manager (see accessories from the link above). Or you could use any of
a number of other applications, including a number that are freeware and
shareware.

Check out the 3rd party software link from this page:

http://gpsinformation.net/

A good freeware to try would be the g7towin program and a very good
shareware is GPS Utility.

Jack

--
Jack Erbes in Ellsworth, Maine, USA - jackerbes at adelphia dot net
(also receiving email at jacker at midmaine.com)