posted to rec.boats.electronics

Default Cost of Garmin charts for snowbird

Am now thinking about a chartplotter, got some good info from group.
Thanks. Questions:

If I go with a Garmin (I'm thinking maybe the 376C) and wanted good
detail covering the entire East Coast and the Bahamas, including the
ICW; what would be the total cost using the CD and purchasing the
needed unlock codes? Would I also have to purchase extra chips; any
specialized hardware/software? Is it possible on the 376C or another
Garmin unit to buy the charts pre-loaded or on pre-programmed chips?
Would this be cheaper, and is the information the same in quality and
detail? Are there any advantages or disadvantages? How up to date are
the charts when you purchase the unit, does Garmin update them on a
periodic basis, and what are the costs associated with updating?

Thanks again for any help

posted to rec.boats.electronics
Gordon Wedman

wrote in message
oups.com...
Am now thinking about a chartplotter, got some good info from group.
Thanks. Questions:

If I go with a Garmin (I'm thinking maybe the 376C) and wanted good
detail covering the entire East Coast and the Bahamas, including the
ICW; what would be the total cost using the CD and purchasing the
needed unlock codes? Would I also have to purchase extra chips; any
specialized hardware/software? Is it possible on the 376C or another
Garmin unit to buy the charts pre-loaded or on pre-programmed chips?
Would this be cheaper, and is the information the same in quality and
detail? Are there any advantages or disadvantages? How up to date are
the charts when you purchase the unit, does Garmin update them on a
periodic basis, and what are the costs associated with updating?

Thanks again for any help

As US charts are now free from NOAA I would think Garmin will be offering
these at very reasonable prices. I have seen price reductions listed for
their North America CD. Just do a Google for "Garmin Blue Charts" or
"Garmin Blue Chart CD". Something around $200 not including Bahamas?

If you buy the CD I don't think you need any special software to copy it
onto a chip that is in the GPS but you will need the laptop-to-GPS
interconnect cable.

Certainly you can buy the charts pre-loaded on chips. The advantage of
having the CD is that you have all the charts available as you need them,
that it, as you buy unlock codes. With a pre-programmed chip you either
have pay for everything (and I don't think all the charts will fit on one
chip) or you have to go back to the store for another chip.

The charts on the CD and chip are the same although I suppose you might buy
a chip or CD from a chandler that is not the most recent one. You would
want to make sure it was up to date.
I think Garmin updates their chart data every 6 months. The last time I
sent my chip in for updating this cost about $120US (was $150 Cdn). This
will probably go down in price and you really do not need to do this every
year.
I have found the charts to be very accurate.

Lastly, you can contact Garmin from their website and they are happy to
answer questions. I have done this and received fairly prompt replies.

posted to rec.boats.electronics
johnhh

You can buy the CD and program your own cards or buy preprogrammed cards.
BUT there are differences, not in the charts but in the licensing.

Preprogrammed cards can be used in any Gamin GPS, but you can't copy them so
only one unit at a time.

Cards that you program from the CD can only be used in the GPS units that
they are unlocked for. Garmin allows you two units per unlock code.

A very large data card will probably hold the entire East coast.
You need to look at the Garmin site to see which chart regions you need and
compare prices. When you go to buy them, search the Web, you can find much
better pricing than Garmin offers. Also try eBay, used preprogrammed ones
come up there.

oups.com...