posted to rec.boats.electronics

Default Cost of Garmin charts for snowbird

Am now thinking about a chartplotter, got some good info from group.
Thanks. Questions:

If I go with a Garmin (I'm thinking maybe the 376C) and wanted good
detail covering the entire East Coast and the Bahamas, including the
ICW; what would be the total cost using the CD and purchasing the
needed unlock codes? Would I also have to purchase extra chips; any
specialized hardware/software? Is it possible on the 376C or another
Garmin unit to buy the charts pre-loaded or on pre-programmed chips?
Would this be cheaper, and is the information the same in quality and
detail? Are there any advantages or disadvantages? How up to date are
the charts when you purchase the unit, does Garmin update them on a
periodic basis, and what are the costs associated with updating?

Thanks again for any help