cvj

Default Free NOAA ENC Charts vs. Free Maptech Charts

As a newbie with electronic charts, I have been playing around with the free
NOAA charts, using one of the free ENC readers.

As far as I could tell, this combination would be OK if all I wanted was the
"offshore" charts...but not much else (I apologize if I have missed anything
here...but that's how it appears)... but

then I finally "stumbled" on the combination of Maptechs free Chart
Navigator 5.07 (available at
http://www.maptech.com/support/doc.c...id=123&plid=39 )

and the free boating charts also available on the Maptech site
(https://secure.maptech.com/productre...in=1&chartdl=1
....and this was a real eye opener. A full featured chart reader that can be
linked to my hand held GPS and the latest (September 2005) charts...

I downloaded/installed the combo on my laptop which will now go onboard the
boat as a backup for the Raymarine chartreader...

Nice free X-mas present from NOAA/Maptech!!!

Cheers,
cvj

Wayne.B

On Fri, 16 Dec 2005 20:59:01 -0800, "cvj"
wrote:

Nice free X-mas present from NOAA/Maptech!!!

I have been using Maptech Offshore Navigator for years and regard it
as a good product, don't know how it compares with the freebie.

Matt O'Toole

On Sat, 17 Dec 2005 00:07:43 -0500, Wayne.B wrote:

On Fri, 16 Dec 2005 20:59:01 -0800, "cvj" wrote:

Nice free X-mas present from NOAA/Maptech!!!

I have been using Maptech Offshore Navigator for years and regard it as
a good product, don't know how it compares with the freebie.

Me too. It has its quirks that drive me nuts, and I don't think it's the
greatest piece of software as software goes, but it's probably the least
worst of the bunch. At $200 or whatever it's pretty cheap, considering
the use one gets out of it. The problem is, it doesn't use the free
charts, only the Maptech ones.

I think Maptech has a racket going with the BSB charts. And their
software could be a heck of a lot better. I hope other developers will
jump in and create better stuff for the ENC charts.

Matt O.
cvj

Thanks to Peter Bennett ( http://vancouver-webpages.com/peter/index.html) I
have found a much better solution that is totally free and works like a
charm.

It is a program called "SeaClear II" which can be downloaded from
http://www.sping.com/seaclear/.

"SeaClear is a PC based chart plotter for Windows 2000/XP/NT/95/98/ME. With
a GPS connected it displays the current position, speed, heading and other
data on the screen. The chart is repositioned and new charts are loaded
automatically as needed. Tracks may be saved to file for later reviewing and
log book entries can be manually and automatically entered. Unlimited number
of routes and waypoints can be created and used to assist the navigation.
The screen area for charts is maximized with most functions accessed with
the right mouse button. Zooming is provided with support for IntelliMouse
wheel. SeaClear is created for nautical navigation but can probably be used
for other navigation needs."

It comes with a program called "MapCal 2" which converts the free Maptech
maps (.KAP file format) for use with SeaClear2.

I installed SeaClear2 on my laptop and use it to plan routes...then take it
to the boat and hook it up with a small handheld Garmin76 GPS....and presto
.....I now have a chartreader onboard with the latest electronic charts as a
backup for my paper charts and regular RayMarine's "C-Map"
GPS/Chartreader... I can even transfer the planned routes to the handheld
GPS for a backup if all the fancy electronic toys go haywire :-)

And I no longer consider purchasing C-Map's proprietary PC reader or for
that matter their expensive annual cartridges...

Give "SeaClear2" a try.... I think you will like it!

CVJ

"Matt O'Toole" wrote in message
news
[...]

Forgot to mention that Maptech's maps are now free and can be downloaded
from http://www.freeboatingcharts.com/

CVJ

The problem is, it doesn't use the free
charts, only the Maptech ones.

Matt O.

cvj

Matt,

After you select the chart - and press the download page, you should be
directed to a page that asks you to "Sign In' (this requires you to enter
your email address and select a password.

Then, you will get an 2 emails from Maptech; The first one says:

"Thank you for using Maptech's free chart download service. You will be
receiving a second email that will direct you to the location to download
your charts.

If you don't receive an email within 24 hours, and you have confirmed the
email hasn't been blocked by your email provider, go to the Free Chart
Download homepage to check the status of your download.

Note: You will need the ID number in the subject line of this email and your
email address to check the status of your download.

and the second one says:

"Thank you for using Maptech's Free Chart Download service. You can retrieve
your charts by clicking the link below.

Download Charts

PLEASE NOTE: Your download will only be available for retrieval for the next
72 hours. After that time you will need to re-create your download.
etc. etc.

Hope this helps you get the charts.

Cheers,
Claus