Matt O'Toole

Default Free NOAA ENC Charts vs. Free Maptech Charts

On Sat, 17 Dec 2005 00:07:43 -0500, Wayne.B wrote:

On Fri, 16 Dec 2005 20:59:01 -0800, "cvj" wrote:

Nice free X-mas present from NOAA/Maptech!!!

I have been using Maptech Offshore Navigator for years and regard it as
a good product, don't know how it compares with the freebie.

Me too. It has its quirks that drive me nuts, and I don't think it's the
greatest piece of software as software goes, but it's probably the least
worst of the bunch. At $200 or whatever it's pretty cheap, considering
the use one gets out of it. The problem is, it doesn't use the free
charts, only the Maptech ones.

I think Maptech has a racket going with the BSB charts. And their
software could be a heck of a lot better. I hope other developers will
jump in and create better stuff for the ENC charts.

Matt O.