posted to rec.boats.electronics
Anonymous

Default Garmin 172c or Lowrance 3500c

Hi All
I fish year 'round off Cape Fear, in Onslow Bay, at the Frying Pan Shoals
Light Tower (yep - it still stands - inactive - at 118 feet) and in Long Bay
down to Lockwood's Folly. I go off shore up to ~ 55 sm. I am looking to
replace my ancient (but still very good) Garmin 65 GPS(vintage 1993.)
Would appreciate your opinions of the two Subject GPSs, or any similar unit
you might recommend. I use a Garmin Etrex Legend as backup.
--
Cap'n Ed of the ss Hooker

posted to rec.boats.electronics
Peter Bennett

On Tue, 29 Nov 2005 13:38:19 GMT, "Anonymous"
wrote:

Hi All
I fish year 'round off Cape Fear, in Onslow Bay, at the Frying Pan Shoals
Light Tower (yep - it still stands - inactive - at 118 feet) and in Long Bay
down to Lockwood's Folly. I go off shore up to ~ 55 sm. I am looking to
replace my ancient (but still very good) Garmin 65 GPS(vintage 1993.)
Would appreciate your opinions of the two Subject GPSs, or any similar unit
you might recommend. I use a Garmin Etrex Legend as backup.

My first thought (without looking up the details of either unit) would
be to stick with Garmin, since you are already familiar with their
products - and it will make it easier to transfer waypoints between
the ETrex and the new unit.

I had a Lowrance GM100 on one boat - as I recall, the user interface
was somewhat different from my previous Garmin 65 and 12XL, which
caused some minor confusion.

--
Peter Bennett VE7CEI
email: peterbb4 (at) interchange.ubc.ca