posted to rec.boats.electronics
b393capt

Default Multiple Inverters

Can you have multiple inverters powering your entertainment gear,
without causing problems.

I am thinking of having a flat panel TV powered by one inverter, and
the DVD/PC on another, and my Raymarine E-80 connected to the TV as
well.

I am concerned that the ground between the devices won't be a the same
voltage, and I will cause a current to run through the ground wire, and
damage equipment. I am hoping I am wrong, and there will be no issue.

Anyone have experience here ?

posted to rec.boats.electronics
Larry

"b393capt" wrote in
oups.com:

I am concerned that the ground between the devices won't be a the same
voltage, and I will cause a current to run through the ground wire, and
damage equipment. I am hoping I am wrong, and there will be no issue.

That's possible, I suppose, but the big problem will be "ground loops" in
the audio and video. We even get ground loops at home hooked to the same
power company. The inverter results will be much worse. Instead of this
damnable hum you can't seem to get rid of even though there are battery
cable-sized ground wires hooking everything together on the AC line
powered stereo, yours will be a sharper buzzing sound that will just
drive you crazy. With more than one inverter, there's bound to be two,
or more, buzzing noises. The hum in the picture is horizontal areas of
light and dark that crawl up or down the screen, depending on how far
your inverter is off frequency from the TV scan freq.

Just go get the right inverter and quit trying to screw up the system.

Are you sure you have enough batteries to power something that needs more
than one inverter?!

posted to rec.boats.electronics
markvictor

There are plenty of inverters that are "stackable"...
Trace and Outback are two of them. There is absolutely no problem with
this if done rtght..
Larry mentioned the scan rate and frequency, in a good inverter this
can be finely adjusted to eliminate the problem..My question is why do
you want to do this? The only viable reason would be if your demand
exceeds the current capacity of a single inverter..Larry also makes the
most important fact in that a cheap inverter will give inferior
performance..
You need a true sine wave inverter for the best performance of your
equipment,,,..and you will most likely always have some"noise",but that
can be minimized. The Outback units are extremely rugged, and
waterproof, very well suited to the marine environment....You get what
you pay for..an old codger I used to work for had a saying: "Save a
buck...works like f*ck..." He was right.
Here's a link that may help you out:
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&ct=re...r02mKsq 3-zuw
Regards,
markvictor
http://groups.google.com/group/badboatbiz?hl=en.

posted to rec.boats.electronics
markvictor

Oh, and I forgot to mention, I have run several flat screens directly
from dc on boats with no problem..yet. One alternate to consider..On a
customers boat, I got a 19' flat screen computer monitor and installed
it in the wheelhouse of his Nordhaven 48...To it I have connected a PC,
a Wesmar HD 800 sonar, avideo camera in both the engine room and on the
aft deck, a dvd player, and a vcr...For around a hundred bucks or so
you can buy the up-converter necessary to connect the video equipment
to the monitor,and it includes a TV tuner, infrared remote, and stereo
audio out for connection to an amp or stereo...
Regards,
markvictor