Glen \Wiley\ Wilson

Default Multiple Wireless Networks

This may be of interest to Skip and others playing with wireless.
Microsoft is developing a new technology called "Virtual Wi-Fi". It
virtualizes a single wireless card to appear to the user as multiple
cards. Benefits cited:

# With VirtualWiFi, you can connect to a guest's machine or play
games over an ad hoc network, while surfing the web via an
infrastructure network.
# You can use VirtualWiFi to connect your ad hoc network, which may
contain many nodes, to the Internet using only one node.
# VirtualWiFi can help make your home infrastructure network elastic
by extending its access to nodes that are out of range of your home
WiFi Access Point.

I don't know much more than that, but you can get a little more info
at

http://research.microsoft.com/netres...fi/default.htm

It looks rather experimental at this point. I don't have a spare
machine to install it on right now, so I'd be interested in reports
from anyone that plays with it.

Glen "Wiley" Wilson usenet1 SPAMNIX at world wide wiley dot com
To reply, lose the capitals and do the obvious.

Take a look at cpRepeater, my NMEA data integrator, repeater, and
logger at http://www.worldwidewiley.com/
Me

In article ,
"Glen \"Wiley\" Wilson" wrote:

[...]

This is nothing more than MultiHoming with Multithreading, and MacOS has
been doing it since 10.1.5. When is Billy Gates going to admit, that
hegets most of his ideas from other peoples workproduct.

Me one who wonders.......
Dave M

"Me" wrote in message
In article ,
"Glen \"Wiley\" Wilson" wrote:

This may be of interest to Skip and others playing with wireless.
Microsoft is developing a new technology called "Virtual Wi-Fi". It
virtualizes a single wireless card to appear to the user as multiple
cards. Benefits cited:

snip

This is nothing more than MultiHoming with Multithreading, and MacOS has
been doing it since 10.1.5. When is Billy Gates going to admit, that
hegets most of his ideas from other peoples workproduct.

Me one who wonders.......

According to Apple websites:

- Multihoming is the ability to use all the network interfaces at the same
time, say a wireless connection and a hardwired connection
(http://www.apple.com/lae/powerbook/wireless.html)
- Multithreading is the ability to manage/execute multiple program threads
simultaneously
(http://developer.apple.com/documenta...tithreading/Mu
ltithreading.html)

The virtual WiFi referenced by the OP is the ability to communicate
concurrently with more than one wireless network at the same location.

How is this something Mac OS has been doing since 10.1.5? Multihoming (per
Apple's definition) is something even Win98 could do, so I am surprised to
learn that Macs couldn't do it before 10.1.5.

I may be missing something, so please provide a link/reference to what you
are talking about.

BTW to Glen: Looks like a promising use of WiFi technology, thanks for the
link. May even be a better way to solve the repeater problem, which is
currently being solved ad-hoc by manufacturers (See DLink's AP/Repeater)
until a standard emerges.

Thanks,
Dave.

Glen \Wiley\ Wilson

On Thu, 10 Nov 2005 09:25:54 -0500, "Dave M"
wrote:

According to Apple websites:

- Multihoming is the ability to use all the network interfaces at the same
time, say a wireless connection and a hardwired connection
(http://www.apple.com/lae/powerbook/wireless.html)
- Multithreading is the ability to manage/execute multiple program threads
simultaneously
(http://developer.apple.com/documenta...tithreading/Mu
ltithreading.html)

The virtual WiFi referenced by the OP is the ability to communicate
concurrently with more than one wireless network at the same location.

Yes, using only a single wifi card or onboard wireless. It would seem
possible to bridge between, say, a marina wireless connection and an
onboard wireless network using a single PC without any extra hardware.
So if you, like me, use onboard wireless to network NMEA data, or
anything else, you can hook up to the external network without
disconnecting the local network or adding another wireless card.
Support for bridging networks is already in XP, so all the onboard PCs
get access to the external network as well.

How is this something Mac OS has been doing since 10.1.5? Multihoming (per
Apple's definition) is something even Win98 could do, so I am surprised to
learn that Macs couldn't do it before 10.1.5.

I may be missing something, so please provide a link/reference to what you
are talking about.

BTW to Glen: Looks like a promising use of WiFi technology, thanks for the
link. May even be a better way to solve the repeater problem, which is
currently being solved ad-hoc by manufacturers (See DLink's AP/Repeater)
until a standard emerges.

Yeah, though performance and throughput is always a question in any
virtualizing scheme. The Slotted Seeded Channel Hopping feature may
alleviate or eliminate the performance hit in some cases but it's not
clear to me that SSCH can operate at the same time as the virtualizing
function above. In any event, I'm thinking that normal traffic on a
home or boat network (excluding backups, downloads, or massive file
moves over the network) is bursty enough not to be a problem.

Thanks,
Dave.

Hey, thanks for responding. I was disappointed that I only managed to
stimulate someone into posting standard Mac diatribe #9b. ;-)