Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
posted to rec.boats.electronics
Leanne

Default Sail Magazine article on ham antenna?

"Jon Gauthier" wrote in message

He currently has a fiberglass whip tuned with an Icom tuner (AT-140 or
an older AT-130?). His boat is a 41' catamaran. He's having trouble with
his setup - can only reach up to 100 miles or so with 40-10 meters. It
almost sounds like he's using only ground-wave propogation, or his
vertical is radiating vertically vis-a-vis NVIS...

I have an AH-4 tuner mounted on the stbd qrtr pushpit. My antenna is a 28 ft
wire hauled up with the main and mizzen peak flag hoists. It is somewhat in
an inverted-L configuration. I am sure that any wire can be hauled up in the
air by a halyard or flag hoist to give him a reasonable length of wire in
the air. I have seen people hang inverted Vees from the spreaders, but they
have to switched over when changing tacks. On a Pacific crossing attempt,
the boat that I was on, had a trapped vertical mounted the tubing for the
vane. We had to guy it, but it worked reasonably well and had a great ground
plane.

Leanne
s/v Fundy

Cedar strip sail/row boat [email protected] Boat Building 9 December 15th 05 05:09 PM
For People Who Like To Sail Capt. Rob ASA 16 November 29th 05 01:31 PM
Sailing Boom Brake - Vangs - Sail shapes +more links Mic Cruising 0 November 6th 05 03:32 PM
Ping Thom. Peter Wiley ASA 27 November 1st 05 08:04 AM
Any Good Magazine for Small Powered Boats? [email protected] General 6 October 13th 05 05:10 PM