posted to rec.boats.electronics
Larry

Default Sail Magazine article on ham antenna?

Old Chief Lynn

Back before Hurricane Hugo blew it all away, the USCG's old 1.9Mhz Loran
"A" station on the North end of Folly Beach still had its original 1/4
wave tower on the beach, the building was there but the equipment was
gone. It took me about 8 levels of CG bureaucrats, but I finally got
permission to go over to the station, with the key, and operate ham radio
from this fine example of a 160 meter vertical antenna on the Atlantic
Oceanfront for a weekend. We took a bunch of dedicated crew and operated
all weekend, logging hundreds of 160M DX from Europe, Africa, Middle
East, Japan....stations I didn't think possible on such a low frequency
band running so little power as we were limited to.

The old antenna served us well but we never got to go back because Hugo
came and blew the top of the antenna away. The stub that's left on its
solid old mount is a weather station for NOAA, now:

http://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/images/Stations/fbis1.jpg

Under that base is about 36 radials under those salt-water dunes, the
perfect ground plane. It was a great weekend of hammin'...(c;

73 DE W4CSC

Cedar strip sail/row boat [email protected] Boat Building 9 December 15th 05 05:09 PM
For People Who Like To Sail Capt. Rob ASA 16 November 29th 05 01:31 PM
Sailing Boom Brake - Vangs - Sail shapes +more links Mic Cruising 0 November 6th 05 03:32 PM
Ping Thom. Peter Wiley ASA 27 November 1st 05 08:04 AM
Any Good Magazine for Small Powered Boats? [email protected] General 6 October 13th 05 05:10 PM