posted to rec.boats.electronics
Jon Gauthier

Default Sail Magazine article on ham antenna?

A friend of mine who's cruising the Eastern Caribbean asked me to
investigate a ham antenna that someone told him about, which they saw in
"Sail". My subscription ran out months ago, and I also can't find it on
their website.

Anyone here recall the article - it was about a HF antenna you could
hoist up the mast. Probably a take on an inverted V, but I can't make
any recommenations to him unless I can see exactly what he's referencing.

He currently has a fiberglass whip tuned with an Icom tuner (AT-140 or
an older AT-130?). His boat is a 41' catamaran. He's having trouble with
his setup - can only reach up to 100 miles or so with 40-10 meters. It
almost sounds like he's using only ground-wave propogation, or his
vertical is radiating vertically vis-a-vis NVIS...

I know I can have my AH-4 tuner drive a length of ladder line, so could
he use his AT-140/130 to do the same, and feed the center of a dipole
60' up his mast, with each end insulated at the bow and stern?