posted to rec.boats.electronics
afpy

Default Choosing an onboard laptop computer-what should I look for ?

What are the minimum requirements to have versatile computer onboard
..
Thank You.

posted to rec.boats.electronics
nollaigoc

Are you running a sailboat or motorboat?.

For a sailboat, power efficiency is important. Typical laptop brick is
60 Watt, which is more than 5 Amps.
Current (no pun) laptops are too power hungry for most sailboats and
overspecified for charting. Avoid charting or any software that uses
too much processing power (MaxSea charting software that consumes
80-100%CPU), as more CPU is more watts from power supply).
A three to five year old laptop, Pentium iii, of 500-1000Mhz, running
Windows 2000 is ideal in minimal configuration. Minimal is no media
player, no email, no internet, no virus scanners, no office software,
no external network connections, completely stand-alone--dedicated to
onboard tasks only.
At this price point you can afford a spare PC, similarly configured for
the inevitable
failure. Salt water and damp are not electronic friendly and hard disks
do not like the motion on board.
If not an old laptop, you could do a Google search for "Car computer".
In summary the boat PC should be dedidated to on board activities only.
For email,web DVD etc etc a seperate modern unit could be carried, but
internet cafes are preferable and cheaper.
Finally a DC-DC converter (car adapter) should be used rather than the
laptop's power brick, which will be a source of electrical noise and of
power loss in conversion.

posted to rec.boats.electronics
afpy

Thank You very much for your advice.I have been considering Dell's
Inspiron 6000 to do the job ,but having two laptops would be much
better choise for different tasks.I would look for a car computer.
What do you think about marinized computers? Are they'll do the job
of car comp. or better?Or worse?
Thanx
Apfy

posted to rec.boats.electronics
afpy

To nollaigoc.I have a Sailboat!
Thanx
Afpy

posted to rec.boats.electronics
Wayne.B

On 3 Jan 2006 15:23:11 -0800, "nollaigoc" wrote:

A three to five year old laptop, Pentium iii, of 500-1000Mhz, running
Windows 2000 is ideal in minimal configuration.

That's what I use. You can pick them up in very good shape as
reconditioned units for $250 to $300. At that price they are cheap
enough not to worry about them too much. I usually get a couple of
years out of them, sometimes more.

afpy wrote:
Thank You very much for your advice.I have been considering Dell's
Inspiron 6000 to do the job ,but having two laptops would be much
better choise for different tasks.I would look for a car computer.
What do you think about marinized computers? Are they'll do the job
of car comp. or better?Or worse?
Thanx
Apfy

I think one of the factors you have to be aware of is how well the
screen shows up in daylight.. a while back I talked to Dell about there
lap tops... basically their message was that any would do that had a
TFT screen and that the 6000 series did not have that required
screen... good luck.. Greg

posted to rec.boats.electronics
Garland Gray II

"nollaigoc" wrote in message
oups.com...
Snip.
Finally a DC-DC converter (car adapter) should be used rather than the
laptop's power brick, which will be a source of electrical noise and of
power loss in conversion.

My laptop has a 10.8 v battery, and it calls for 15 v input from the battery
charger.
Would 12 v plus (or better when the engine is running) from my boat charge
this battery sufficiently ?
Or do I need to shell out $80 for a dc charger/transformer ?

posted to rec.boats.electronics
Larry

"Garland Gray II" wrote in

Would 12 v plus (or better when the engine is running) from my boat
charge this battery sufficiently ?

It's fine....BUT.....some laptops are positive ground, which might make a
hefty spark when plugged into neg ground other equipment like serial
ports.

Ohmmeter from ground on the serial connector and audio connectors to the
charger wires and let's see if the wrong side of the battery is grounded
before we hook 'em up, oK?

------------------------

another little black jumping spider has invaded my computer shack. Silly
fool has been chasing the red dot from my laser level all over the
ceiling for over an hour...(c; He caught it twice. I think he thought
it was pretty bright. He seemed "stunned"....(c;

posted to rec.boats.electronics
Wayne.B

On Tue, 10 Jan 2006 21:54:03 -0500, "Garland Gray II"
wrote:

My laptop has a 10.8 v battery, and it calls for 15 v input from the battery
charger.
Would 12 v plus (or better when the engine is running) from my boat charge
this battery sufficiently ?
Or do I need to shell out $80 for a dc charger/transformer ?

I don't do either. I power the laptop brick with 120 AC from a $30
inverter.