posted to rec.boats.electronics
Garland Gray II

Default Choosing an onboard laptop computer-what should I look for ?

Thanks Larry. Is this caveat a separate issue from my charging issue ?
Regarding the charging, I would certainly observe polarity. But it would
receive from a fixed GPS thru a serial port.

"Larry" wrote in message
"Garland Gray II" wrote in

Would 12 v plus (or better when the engine is running) from my boat
charge this battery sufficiently ?

It's fine....BUT.....some laptops are positive ground, which might make a
hefty spark when plugged into neg ground other equipment like serial
ports.

Ohmmeter from ground on the serial connector and audio connectors to the
charger wires and let's see if the wrong side of the battery is grounded
before we hook 'em up, oK?

another little black jumping spider has invaded my computer shack. Silly
fool has been chasing the red dot from my laser level all over the
ceiling for over an hour...(c; He caught it twice. I think he thought
it was pretty bright. He seemed "stunned"....(c;