Geoff Schultz

Default LED Navigation Lights Experience

At the Newport boat show I saw a display for Lopolight LED based navigation
lights. Their web site is http://www.lopolight.dk/ These appear to be
very well built products, but expensive.

In particular I was interested in their anchor/steaming light that they're
about to come out with. I have an incandescent Perko anchor/steaming combo
that I'd like to replace with something that draws a lot less current. I
basically have 2 questions:

1) Does anyone know of other companies that have a LED based
anchor/steaming light?

2) In general what has been your experience with LED based navigation
lights?

-- Geoff

Len Krauss

Have had one of these for over 5 years -- it's great! Just an easy bulb
replacement.
http://firststarled.com/

--
Eliminate "ns" for email address.
"Geoff Schultz" wrote in message
6...
At the Newport boat show I saw a display for Lopolight LED based

navigation
lights. Their web site is http://www.lopolight.dk/ These appear to be
very well built products, but expensive.

In particular I was interested in their anchor/steaming light that they're
about to come out with. I have an incandescent Perko anchor/steaming

combo
that I'd like to replace with something that draws a lot less current. I
basically have 2 questions:

1) Does anyone know of other companies that have a LED based
anchor/steaming light?

2) In general what has been your experience with LED based navigation
lights?

-- Geoff

Bob Markus

While crossing the Atlantic last year in the ARC Europe, we had a mast top
nav/anchor light.
When we turned the light on, we were unable to receive on the VHF radio (SSB
worked fine)
Took a week to figure out what was going on. Later when we separated the
wires in the mast, the problem was solved BE CAREFUL

"Geoff Schultz" wrote in message
6...
At the Newport boat show I saw a display for Lopolight LED based
navigation
lights. Their web site is http://www.lopolight.dk/ These appear to be
very well built products, but expensive.

In particular I was interested in their anchor/steaming light that they're
about to come out with. I have an incandescent Perko anchor/steaming
combo
that I'd like to replace with something that draws a lot less current. I
basically have 2 questions:

1) Does anyone know of other companies that have a LED based
anchor/steaming light?

2) In general what has been your experience with LED based navigation
lights?

-- Geoff

Gordon Wedman

"Bob Markus" wrote in message
[...]

What exactly are you saying? Are you suggesting that wires carrying 12v DC
going to the LED lights somehow interfered with the VHF signal in the coax?
Doesn't seem very likely.

varnish

2) In general what has been your experience with LED based navigation
lights?

Took a lopolight across the Atlantic this year, worked fine as far as I
know. I certainly had to use less engine charging time.

I don't think they're too expensive, given the amount of charging time
they save, and I always seemed to be putting a new bulb in the old one
every year, and paying money for a fir young lad to climb the mast. A
very nice bit of kit, I think.
Meindert Sprang

"Gordon Wedman" wrote in message

What exactly are you saying? Are you suggesting that wires carrying 12v

DC
going to the LED lights somehow interfered with the VHF signal in the

coax?
Doesn't seem very likely.

It is very likely. Many of these LED navlights have a switching regulator,
which switches the current on and of with a high frequency to regulate the
current through the LEDs. These switchers can produce a terrible
interference, even on VHF.

Meindert

Terry Spragg

Gordon Wedman wrote:

"Bob Markus" wrote in message

While crossing the Atlantic last year in the ARC Europe, we had a mast top
nav/anchor light.
When we turned the light on, we were unable to receive on the VHF radio
(SSB worked fine)
Took a week to figure out what was going on. Later when we separated the
wires in the mast, the problem was solved BE CAREFUL

"Geoff Schultz" wrote in message
. 136...

[...]

S'reasonable. The LED driver switches off and on at close to RF.

You'd think it would be decoupled, but, a long run close together
would permit better coupling. A radio rx would pick up even the
weakest signal, one would hope.

Terry K