Terry Spragg

Default LED Navigation Lights Experience

Gordon Wedman wrote:

"Bob Markus" wrote in message

While crossing the Atlantic last year in the ARC Europe, we had a mast top
nav/anchor light.
When we turned the light on, we were unable to receive on the VHF radio
(SSB worked fine)
Took a week to figure out what was going on. Later when we separated the
wires in the mast, the problem was solved BE CAREFUL

"Geoff Schultz" wrote in message
. 136...

At the Newport boat show I saw a display for Lopolight LED based
navigation
lights. Their web site is http://www.lopolight.dk/ These appear to be
very well built products, but expensive.

In particular I was interested in their anchor/steaming light that
they're
about to come out with. I have an incandescent Perko anchor/steaming
combo
that I'd like to replace with something that draws a lot less current. I
basically have 2 questions:

1) Does anyone know of other companies that have a LED based
anchor/steaming light?

2) In general what has been your experience with LED based navigation
lights?

-- Geoff

Later when we separated the

wires in the mast, the problem was solved

What exactly are you saying? Are you suggesting that wires carrying 12v DC
going to the LED lights somehow interfered with the VHF signal in the coax?
Doesn't seem very likely.

S'reasonable. The LED driver switches off and on at close to RF.

You'd think it would be decoupled, but, a long run close together
would permit better coupling. A radio rx would pick up even the
weakest signal, one would hope.

Terry K