Larry

Default NEW sat pix Aug 31 of New Orleans.

http://maps.google.com/

Click on the link about the new satellite pictures in Google's new mapper
and zoom around any place in the city as if you were flying over on August
31, 2005. There's only a few clouds to spoil it.

Amazing technology. Google's really done it up right. I can see a book on
the dash of my station wagon at my address, right in my yard. Try yours.
Take a look in your marina, too! I can see the Foldabote on the foredeck!

--
Larry

Don White

"Larry" wrote in message

http://maps.google.com/

Click on the link about the new satellite pictures in Google's new mapper
and zoom around any place in the city as if you were flying over on August
31, 2005. There's only a few clouds to spoil it.

Amazing technology. Google's really done it up right. I can see a book
on
the dash of my station wagon at my address, right in my yard. Try yours.
Take a look in your marina, too! I can see the Foldabote on the foredeck!

--
Larry

Either you're exaggerating...or certain areas have better coverage. At
the highest zoom setting for my home town, the cars are still specks,
although you can pickout single family dwellings.
Glenn Ashmore

"Don White" wrote
Either you're exaggerating...or certain areas have better coverage. At
the highest zoom setting for my home town, the cars are still specks,
although you can pickout single family dwellings.

It depends on how recent and in what detail the latest aerial survey
pictures have been made. The area around my house was surveyed in 2002. I
can make out the pool sweep in my pool but a few blocks away that were not
in the survey you can only see houses.

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

Larry

Don White wrote in
:

Either you're exaggerating...or certain areas have better coverage. At
the highest zoom setting for my home town, the cars are still specks,
although you can pickout single family dwellings.

If you look around on its satellite pictures, you'll find there are
different resolution pictures right next to each other.

--
Larry

Jeff

Larry wrote:
Don White wrote in
:

Either you're exaggerating...or certain areas have better coverage. At
the highest zoom setting for my home town, the cars are still specks,
although you can pickout single family dwellings.

If you look around on its satellite pictures, you'll find there are
different resolution pictures right next to each other.

The photos vary by region and local. Much of the populated parts of
the US has 1 meter coverage. Massachusetts did a high res (1 foot)
survey in April of 2001 for the eastern half of the state, so that is
used. Cambridge did an even higher res survey so that is used. You
can make out the geese sleeping on the banks of the Charles River.

The technology was acquired from Keyhole in a buyout. The Keyhole
software permits zooming in, flyovers, etc. You've probably seen it
on CNN. A home version was available for a modest fee, which I paid,
but the latest version of the offered as "Google Earth" doesn't work
with my graphics adapter. Check out:
http://earth.google.com/
but read the entire page on what you need before downloading.
Keith

Not sure about Google, but some of the sites used old Russian satellite
photos. I have a house near what used to be an air force base.
Surprise, surprise, the resolution is VERY detailed for the base, and
falls off a bit in the surrounding areas.