Jeff

Larry wrote:
Don White wrote in
:

Either you're exaggerating...or certain areas have better coverage. At
the highest zoom setting for my home town, the cars are still specks,
although you can pickout single family dwellings.

If you look around on its satellite pictures, you'll find there are
different resolution pictures right next to each other.

The photos vary by region and local. Much of the populated parts of
the US has 1 meter coverage. Massachusetts did a high res (1 foot)
survey in April of 2001 for the eastern half of the state, so that is
used. Cambridge did an even higher res survey so that is used. You
can make out the geese sleeping on the banks of the Charles River.

The technology was acquired from Keyhole in a buyout. The Keyhole
software permits zooming in, flyovers, etc. You've probably seen it
on CNN. A home version was available for a modest fee, which I paid,
but the latest version of the offered as "Google Earth" doesn't work
with my graphics adapter. Check out:
http://earth.google.com/
but read the entire page on what you need before downloading.