Meindert Sprang

wrote in message
A normal windows installation will
wear out the flash disk in no time.

You have me puzzled here. How does it "wear out" solid state?

Because a solid-state flash disk has a limited number of write/erase cycles
per sector of 100,000 to 1,000,000 times. So having windows put a swapfile
on that, or any other temporary file will make the flash disk reach that
number in no time.

You'll need XP Embedded to make
sure it does not write registry, log and swapfiles files to the
flashdisk "millisecond".

What is wrong with writing data to a flash drive? I use them to move
data between computers anyway. They can hold with power off and
unplugged.

Unless I am misunderstanding what you are saying?

Yes. Writing data to flash is ok. But having an OS putting temporary files
on a flash disk that are write thousands of times during one session is bad.

Meindert

Because a solid-state flash disk has a limited number of write/erase
cycles

Thanks for the info (and to "Me@Shadow" too). I might still use one
with a copy of my OS & essentials just for use on very rough seas. Not
likely to happen very often. Maybe have one set just for swap files and
temp directories in such times. Well, things to consider. Appreciate the
info.

Hmmm... maybe I could set up a RAM disc in memory for the swap file and
temp directories?

Hanz Schmidt

Look at : http://www.logicsupply.com/

I have gotten the Venus 668 case with a VIA CL-10000 and also a VIA
SP-13000. I put in a 12v dc -dc converter from Ituner and have been
using it on my boat for 1 1/2 yrs..

Hanz

wrote:

Most boaters use laptops for onboard computing, but I want to see what
this group thinks about using a more permanent PC solution? My opinion
is that laptops work fine most of the time, but they aren't really
designed for life on the water unless you go with a very expensive
ruggedized version.

I have to be honest, so here's my "full disclosure". I started a
company about a year ago to build and sell marine PCs (not laptops) to
the recreational boating community. Out of respect for the newsgroup
format, I'm not going to advertise here. I'm using my personal email
address, not my business one. I'm just looking for ideas. Call it
market research.

I am interested in the general reaction and acceptance of the boating
community to the idea of replacing their laptops with a more rugged and
marine-focused solution. Would you consider it? Are you aleady doing
it? If not, what kind of features might change your mind? If you are
out there now just looking for the right marine PC system, what
features are you looking for?

Just FYI, my system currently includes "marine" features that are
inspired from my own experiences and research, such as regulated 12VDC
input, shock & vibration resistance, conformally coated circuit boards,
and a small footprint (it's about the size of a shoebox). What else may
be useful on your boat?

Thanks in advance for any ideas!

Dennis Pogson

[...]

I like the word "semi" in the title. The implications are in line with most
PC installations, and suggest that when the next Wonderbox comes out, we
will all ditch the old technology and re-install the new. About 6 months
perhaps?

Ottar

I have been toying with the same as a hobby project.

The wishlist in short:

- Low power
- Suitable for marine use. Well engineered and splash proof.
- No moving parts, possibly except HDD. Certainly no fans.
- Low power
- Open source software. We do not want the machine to die 10 days from port
due to some MS virus or other hazzle.
- Server facilities as on-board e-mail server, DHCP, DNS, printer, file, X
etc for connected crew lap tops and others.
- Lots of I/O
- Low power
- Supporting logging, navigation, automation etc on board
- Providing entertainement, DVD, MP3, e-books etc
- Low power
- Automatic e-mail forwarding and fetching via SSB, GPRS, Satellite, WLAN or
whatever is available, cheep and chereful at the time
- Low power

and finally

- Low power

One could also think of having a second low power battery operated wireless
thin client in cockpit while sailing near land for navigation, radar image
or similar.

ottar