Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
nfsnfs

Default Need advice on a GPS solution

I just bought a 12 year old C&C 37/40R and, along with the 1287 odd jobs
that come along with used boats, I would like to install a GPS chart
plotter. There are dozens of possible solutions straight out of the
West Marine catalog but a friend highly recommended software on a
laptop instead.

He uses Nobletec and seems committed, but I thought I might ask a wider
audience for recommendations / disrecommendations. Also, his setup
involves parking the laptop on the chart table below, whereas I would
like something visible from the helm. That would mean an extra screen
that will stand up to salt water and running some wiring, but if
charting software is better/cheaper/faster than what gets plugged into
the integrated plotters, I'd like to know before I start.

Any advice for a greenhorn?

--
nfsnfs- http://www.hookandsinker.com - The Sportfishermen's choice for fishing news, over 500+ maps, over 7,000+ schematics, and even these newsgroups are available online!

Mississippi boat rental advice sought harry palmer General 2 May 30th 05 10:39 PM
Advice Wanted Chris Boat Building 0 June 20th 04 12:26 PM
Offshore Sailing Advice [email protected] Cruising 27 May 29th 04 12:41 AM
ON Topic -- Power boat novice seeks advice Jim General 31 April 15th 04 02:22 AM
Sage restoration advice wanted (osmosis) Angus Gratton General 4 November 14th 03 06:04 PM