Max Lynn

It really depends on how you are using the boat. I race and cruise on a
First 40.7 and have an old (IBM 600E Thinkpad bought off Ebay) running an
older version of Nobeltec. For long races and longer cruises, I wouldn't be
without the laptop. I also have a Garmin rudimentary chartplotter (Model
#162), which I use primarily to derive NMEA for the laptop and as a backup
for the laptop. If I had a choice, I would move the Garmin to the helm to
use on around -the-buoy racing and quick look data at the helm.
Unfortunately, my boat doesn't lend itself to mounting much instrumentation
around the helm, so I compromise. I have seen a number of chartplotters and
have yet to see one which offers the flexibility of a good navigation
program on a laptop. I'm not sure I would say that Nobeltec is the best,
but it is definitely up there with the best. There are continual advances
in the map format area (the new free ENC charts are an example) which you
should consider when you buy a laptop charting program, particularly if you
are cruising over long distances. Digital charts can be expensive.

"nfsnfs" wrote in message

I just bought a 12 year old C&C 37/40R and, along with the 1287 odd jobs
that come along with used boats, I would like to install a GPS chart
plotter. There are dozens of possible solutions straight out of the
West Marine catalog but a friend highly recommended software on a
laptop instead.

He uses Nobletec and seems committed, but I thought I might ask a wider
audience for recommendations / disrecommendations. Also, his setup
involves parking the laptop on the chart table below, whereas I would
like something visible from the helm. That would mean an extra screen
that will stand up to salt water and running some wiring, but if
charting software is better/cheaper/faster than what gets plugged into
the integrated plotters, I'd like to know before I start.

Any advice for a greenhorn?

--
nfsnfs- http://www.hookandsinker.com - The Sportfishermen's choice for
fishing news, over 500+ maps, over 7,000+ schematics, and even these