prodigal1

Yellowchaser wrote:
Johnhh Wrote:

If only it were waterproof and a whole lot less expensive.

It should be relativley easy to build a plexiglass box it could fit
into, with a watertight sealable front panel you could open to get to
the controls if needed. Then mount the whole thing on an arm. This
would both protect the screen from water and something hitting it.

why **** around with building plastic boxes?

www.itronix.com

all will be revealed grasshopper
Yellowchaser

prodigal1 Wrote:
Yellowchaser wrote:

Johnhh Wrote:

If only it were waterproof and a whole lot less expensive.

It should be relativley easy to build a plexiglass box it could fit
into, with a watertight sealable front panel you could open to get to
the controls if needed. Then mount the whole thing on an arm. This
would both protect the screen from water and something hitting it.

why **** around with building plastic boxes?

'www.itronix.com' (http://www.itronix.com/)

all will be revealed grasshopper

Because its inexpensive to build yourself, durable, and you can
customize it to fit your own boat not a generic one that is suppose to
fit all and doesn't. Why search trying to find something that you will
only have to pay manufacturing costs on when you can get everything you
need at a hardware store. How do you think ideas get started.

--
Yellowchaser- http://www.hookandsinker.com - The Sportfishermen's choice for fishing news, over 500+ maps, over 7,000+ schematics, and even these newsgroups are available online!

Gordon Wedman

"Larry W4CSC" wrote in message
"Gordon Wedman" wrote in

He plans to mount it on a swing arm so that he can position it in the
companionway and see it from the helm.

You tell him for me that if that damned "swing arm" has a knob that turns
to lock it in place that will swing free when the knob is loose for him to
save his money. Geoffrey paid a fortune for this fancy aluminum dual arm
thing from Waste Marine and it's USELESS AT SEA! Any roll or pitch that
can loosen that damned screwlock does so and BANG!...there goes whatever
is
bolted to it into whatever it can bang it into....

USELESS....
http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs...splay?storeId=
10001&langId=-
1&catalogId=10001&productId=76614&catalogId=10001& classNum=484&subdeptNum=1
42&storeNum=3
(add up all these lines that wordwrapped to see the exact POS we have.)
$174 and it doesn't even have a lock washer! If anything turns
counterclockwise from a roll...it has NO LOCK AT ALL and swings totally
free! How awful...looks nice, though....USELESS!!

My friend will probably build his own as he hates to pay for anything he
*thinks* he can build.
I put my JRC radar display on a couple of RAM mounts which are swing arms
that are probably similar to what you have. I find you can't really get
them to stay in place by just trying to turn the large knob.
What seems to work is to hold the knob and work the arm back and forth. You
can get things really tight that way. My radar stays in place but not yet
tested in rough water.

prodigal1

Yellowchaser wrote:

Because its inexpensive to build yourself, durable, and you can
customize it to fit your own boat not a generic one that is suppose to
fit all and doesn't. Why search trying to find something that you will
only have to pay manufacturing costs on when you can get everything you
need at a hardware store. How do you think ideas get started.

I see, you're a graduate of the Red Green School of Reverse Engineering.
Keep yer stick on the ice.

Jack Erbes

Yellowchaser wrote:

why **** around with building plastic boxes?

'www.itronix.com' (http://www.itronix.com/)

all will be revealed grasshopper

Because its inexpensive to build yourself, durable, and you can
customize it to fit your own boat not a generic one that is suppose to
fit all and doesn't. Why search trying to find something that you will
only have to pay manufacturing costs on when you can get everything you
need at a hardware store. How do you think ideas get started.

Why a box? You picked a design with about 12 seams that need to be
sealed and requiring a complicated contour matching and assembly process.

Use a cylinder of Plexiglas, fibreglas, or maybe even ABS, PVC, or one
of the other dirt cheap, commonly available, construction materials.

Lots of room for ingenuity here. Use a end piece that will take a cap
or plug. Cut it to an approximate fit and then lay a piece of coarse
abrasive on the mounting spot and sand it to fit. Then fibreglas it
into place.

I remember some housings that were around in the early 80's that were
filled with mineral oil instead of water to get a better acoustic
transfer.

Jack

--
Jack Erbes in Ellsworth, Maine, USA - jackerbes at adelphia dot net
(also receiving email at jacker at midmaine.com)

Larry W4CSC

prodigal1 wrote in :

I see, you're a graduate of the Red Green School of Reverse Engineering.
Keep yer stick on the ice.

One of the best shows left on TV....(c;

The wood chipper made from an old dryer works quite well for us...

--
Larry

You know you've had a rough night when you wake up and you're outlined in
chalk.

Mississippi boat rental advice sought harry palmer General 2 May 30th 05 10:39 PM
Advice Wanted Chris Boat Building 0 June 20th 04 12:26 PM
Offshore Sailing Advice [email protected] Cruising 27 May 29th 04 12:41 AM
ON Topic -- Power boat novice seeks advice Jim General 31 April 15th 04 02:22 AM
Sage restoration advice wanted (osmosis) Angus Gratton General 4 November 14th 03 06:04 PM