FMCCARTY

Default marine radar detectors

I need info on marine radar detectors. Here's the reason. I have a friend
that is planning to cross the atlantic solo. He'll be in his 30" sailboat.
This will be his 3rd trip across. He had a near miss last trip and is
interested in some sort of radar detection system for comforts sake. I've
been trying to talk him into a radar system but he's stubborn and set in
his ways. He hates electronic systems on his boat. Anyone have any ideas?
Know of any brands, websites, makes, models? Or just ideas that would make
his trip safer?
Fred

davidb

Just type 'radar detector' into a search engine and all kinds of info
comes up. It seems the tubular ones are useless. The only ones that
really work are the aluminium tetrahedron (?) type.

William Andersen

A radar detector will only work if the other ships have their radar on. A
radar reflector would make your friend more visible, but only if the other
ships have their radar on.
I guess it's hard for me to be very positive, your friend is just a jerk.

"FMCCARTY" wrote in message
I need info on marine radar detectors. Here's the reason. I have a friend
that is planning to cross the atlantic solo. He'll be in his 30" sailboat.
This will be his 3rd trip across. He had a near miss last trip and is
interested in some sort of radar detection system for comforts sake. I've
been trying to talk him into a radar system but he's stubborn and set in
his ways. He hates electronic systems on his boat. Anyone have any ideas?
Know of any brands, websites, makes, models? Or just ideas that would make
his trip safer?
Fred

Graham Stephen

"FMCCARTY" wrote in message
I need info on marine radar detectors. Here's the reason. I have a friend
that is planning to cross the atlantic solo. He'll be in his 30" sailboat.
This will be his 3rd trip across. He had a near miss last trip and is
interested in some sort of radar detection system for comforts sake. I've
been trying to talk him into a radar system but he's stubborn and set in
his ways. He hates electronic systems on his boat. Anyone have any ideas?
Know of any brands, websites, makes, models? Or just ideas that would make
his trip safer?
Fred

He'll be in his 30" sailboat

That must be some record! That is a whole 17" shorter than the previous
record attempt. Good luck. It won't be very comfortable. I hope that he
makes it.

Graham

Sandpiper

Try the 'See Me' active radar detector, makes you look like a cargo ship.

Dave

Agree with Sandpiper, Sea-Me would be the best for that sort of trip.
http://www.sea-me.co.uk/about.html
Dave

"Sandpiper" wrote in message
Try the 'See Me' active radar detector, makes you look like a cargo ship.

davidb

"Sandpiper" wrote in message
Try the 'See Me' active radar detector, makes you look like a cargo

ship.

I was under the impression that 'active' radar detectors were illegal,
at least in n.america

Bruce in Alaska

"Sandpiper" wrote in message
Try the 'See Me' active radar detector, makes you look like a cargo

ship.

I was under the impression that 'active' radar detectors were illegal,
at least in n.america

Depends on what you classify as an "Active Radar Detector".....
There are Licensable Radar Transponders that work in the Maritime
X-Band, and these are actually Required Equipment for SOLAS Required
Vessels that fly the US Flag. There are Racons that are licensable
in the US for fixed Navigation Bouys, as well.

Bruce in alaska
--
add a 2 before @
Figment

These are "Radar Reflectors", the question was abour "Radar Detectors".

"davidb" wrote in message
oups.com...
Just type 'radar detector' into a search engine and all kinds of info
comes up. It seems the tubular ones are useless. The only ones that
really work are the aluminium tetrahedron (?) type.

Figment

A radar detector relies on the other vessel having theit radar on, so
there's a signal for the detector to "detect", far better to have his own
Radar.

"FMCCARTY" wrote in message
I need info on marine radar detectors. Here's the reason. I have a friend
that is planning to cross the atlantic solo. He'll be in his 30" sailboat.
This will be his 3rd trip across. He had a near miss last trip and is
interested in some sort of radar detection system for comforts sake. I've
been trying to talk him into a radar system but he's stubborn and set in
his ways. He hates electronic systems on his boat. Anyone have any ideas?
Know of any brands, websites, makes, models? Or just ideas that would make
his trip safer?
Fred

Nasa Marine AIS radar Pascal Electronics 10 May 20th 05 01:49 AM
Just a few names... John Smith General 0 May 2nd 04 11:32 PM
Essentials of a Marine Boat Alarm System Rick Curtis Electronics 19 February 23rd 04 09:42 AM
Vessel detectors - radar visibility of your own vessel john s. Cruising 16 August 27th 03 12:53 AM
The same people Simple Simon ASA 28 July 23rd 03 03:20 PM