Pascal

Default Nasa Marine AIS radar

Anibody has already tested this unit?

"The Nasa Marine AIS radar is the first stand alone AIS receiver /
plotter specifically designed for the leisure boat market.

The display, with ranges of 1,2,4,8,16 and 32 nautical miles shows AIS
carrying vessels in a format normally associated with conventional
radar. A trail of previous positions clearly chows the relative track
of all the targets on the screen. A box to the right of the screen
displays the speed over the ground, the vessel name, mmsi number and
the latidude and longitude of any target selected by the user.

The compact unit has a white backlit LCD display, operates from 12
volts and consumes little power. The Nasa Marine AIS Radar is easy to
use and will br available later this season at a RRP of =A3259."
=20
Thanks by any coments=20

Pascal

Dave Baker

On 17 May 2005 14:44:10 -0700, "Pascal" wrote:

Anibody has already tested this unit?

There is a small review & some further links at:

http://www.panbo.com/

Dave

The email address used for sending these postings is not valid.
All replies to the group please.
Pascal

Thanks Dave, good thing this blog.

I found that Si-Tex sell the NASA AIS radar and the Nasa AIS Engine
with theyr Logo Mark. And more, they newer Color Gps Chart Plotters
(Gps with 18 chanels) supoorts the NASA (Si-tex) AIS Engine and
displays the ships in the C-Map Color Charts, exactly what I would like

to have in my Garmin GpsMap276C. They are the first leisure Chart
Ploters to support AIS, I think, but probaly in the hig end price
class.

Regards

Pascal

Pascal

Dave,

I am not shure, but I have the impression that You told that you have a
Garmin GpsMap276C too, it is correct? Remenbering what that unknow guy
told, that all the DSC ready garmin gpsploter already have support to
AIS, and as You have a NASA or other AIS receiver, could You make a
test to see if the Map276C can receives the AIVDM message? Pheraps it
has the function to plot the ships position based on the AIVDM message,
buried into the DSC function. What You think?

Regards

pascal

Pascal

Your panbo link is fantastic, I found this incredible software, wich
support AIS and the NASA engine, but is for Macs only, not for PCs.
More incredible is the price: only US 50.00 ... Impressive list of
features, like the MaxSea

I could not believe.

Pascal

Dave Baker

On 17 May 2005 19:42:30 -0700, "Pascal" wrote:

I am not shure, but I have the impression that You told that you have a
Garmin GpsMap276C too, it is correct?

Yes, I do.

Remenbering what that unknow guy
told, that all the DSC ready garmin gpsploter already have support to
AIS, and as You have a NASA or other AIS receiver, could You make a
test to see if the Map276C can receives the AIVDM message? Pheraps it
has the function to plot the ships position based on the AIVDM message,
buried into the DSC function. What You think?

I doubt that it will work, and think that DSC is 9600 baud while AIS is 38400
baud, as well as using different protocols, but I may be able to check. My
276C is hard wired into my car at the moment, so I won't be checking for a
while, but will try to remember next time I take the unit out for reloading
of maps, etc.

What "unknown" guys say doesn't usually give me much confidence - being an
engineer I usually like to see some specs! :-)

Dave

The email address used for sending these postings is not valid.
All replies to the group please.
Pascal

Thank You Dave,

I know that this is improbable, but maybe garmin had put this covert
function only for some selected guys to test it; the new release 3.20
included the setup NMEA speed (high speed/normal speed) but do not say
what speed is... And if AIS and the NASA engine is having this fast
and large aceptance, being selled by several others software and
hardware makers, why not adopt it too, and make a litlle
software/firmware modification to support it? And pheraps, sell it
with garmin logo too, after a period of test?

Best regards and thank you again.

P.S. The link of the mac navigation software is:

http://www.gpsnavx.com/

Meindert Sprang

"Pascal" wrote in message
oups.com...
Thank You Dave,

I know that this is improbable, but maybe garmin had put this covert
function only for some selected guys to test it; the new release 3.20
included the setup NMEA speed (high speed/normal speed) but do not say
what speed is...

NMEA high speed (HS) is 38400 baud.

Meindert

Pascal

Than You Meindert,

How I can find if the "high speed" of 276C is 38400 or 9600?

There is a way to test the 276C with a file containing records of AIVDM
messages sended by an AIS receiver, and re-sending this messages to
the serial port of the laptop, using a program like Windows
Hyperteminal, so that the 276C woud read them again simulating a real
AIS receiver?

What the "unknown" guy said was:

" Then I think you schould start reading again.

All DCS capable Garmin receivers are also AIS capable.
DCS is still the most wideley spread system, and AIS does not add
anything to Garmin GPS receivers over the DCS system.

You can easely combine a Garmin with DCS with a AIS reciever since the
data send to the (external) gps is exactly the same"

This made me suspect that he could have some confidential information
about AIS and 276C and that the actual standard firmaware (3.20) maybe
is already able to receive AIVDM messages and get ships's MMSI, name
and position (at last), wich would be a proof that Garmin is already
developing the software (and maybe some hardware) for AIS on some DSC
ready gps receivers, like my 276C

Regards

Pascal

Meindert Sprang

"Pascal" wrote in message
oups.com...
Than You Meindert,

How I can find if the "high speed" of 276C is 38400 or 9600?

There is a way to test the 276C with a file containing records of AIVDM
messages sended by an AIS receiver, and re-sending this messages to
the serial port of the laptop, using a program like Windows
Hyperteminal, so that the 276C woud read them again simulating a real
AIS receiver?

You could indeed try that. This also allows you to test whether the garmin
listens at 9600 or 38400 baud.

Meindert

2005 West Marine catalog announed [email protected] General 23 March 5th 05 02:48 PM
FS JRC Marine Radar NEW IN BOX Capt Frank Hopkins Electronics 0 October 9th 04 04:26 PM
Just a few names... John Smith General 0 May 2nd 04 11:32 PM
Essentials of a Marine Boat Alarm System Rick Curtis Electronics 19 February 23rd 04 09:42 AM
The same people Simple Simon ASA 28 July 23rd 03 03:20 PM