Wout B

"Meindert Sprang" wrote in message
"Pascal Goncalves" wrote in message
om...
Anibody can tell me the diferences betwen V3.1 and V2.0? Or better,
who have the NMEA 183 specs can send me a copy?

The NMEA specs are copyrighted material and can only be obtained, at a

cost,
from www.nmea.org.

I read somewhere that
the V 3.1 alows for more than one talker: this is true?

No. Data from more than one talker can only be combined using an NMEA
multiplexer.

Meindert

Hi,
Meindert is right, a multiplexer is necessary to combine talkers.
However, with the various versions of NMEA sentences and the resulting
compatibility problems, it is advantageous to purchase an "intelligent"
multiplexer, one that allows you to do NMEA conversions, insert extra fields
in a sentence, etc.
There is one such multiplexer on the market that allows you to convert
entire sentences "on the fly", e.g. to convert a GGA to a RMC sentence, or
to insert extra fields, to make your older equipment compatible with NMEA
3.01. It also allows you to suppress sentences that your software doesn't
need (filtering), change NMEA ID's and many more other functions. Of
course, the checksum is re-calculated and replaced after changes have been
made to the original sentence. All these functions are controlled by
user-definable directives in a script file and can be uploaded to the
multiplexer in a simple way.
The same multiplexer has a "data pacing" feature to slow down fast talkers,
such as some electronic compasses. It will also add extra safety to the
integrated system by switching automatically to a backup GPS when the
primary GPS stops outputting NMEA data. This happens more often than one
would think and usually at a time it is most inconvenient. So, this is
actually a multiplexer taken a few steps further.
All to good to be true? A Google search for "NMEA mux" will get you there.

Wout

Wout B

"Meindert Sprang" wrote in message
"Larry W4CSC" wrote in message
"Meindert Sprang" wrote in
:

No. Data from more than one talker can only be combined using an NMEA
multiplexer.

Meindert

Any particular BRAND of NMEA multiplexer come to mind?.....(c;

Well, ShipModul, of course. Are there any others? :-)

Wishful thinking mate! :-)
Wout

Meindert

Pascal Goncalves

Thank You, I had forgoten that only with a NMEA multiplexor I can have
more than one talker. I have the folowing situation: my gps is
sending NMEA messages to my AH autopilot, and the gps is receiving
Depth (DBT) from an Navman depth sounder. Aditionaly, I have a laptop
witch is reciving NMEA from the gps, for real time ploting, using some
software. If I add a VHF/DSC radio, sending and receiving NMEA to/from
gps, what would hapen?

My gps is a Garmin Gpsmap276C, witch now (3.1) includes a very
interesting interface with VHF/DSC, that can show the position of all
boats nearby (if they are DSC/VHF ready), so that I will see the
positions of all boats in the map screen, this would be useful in a
flotilha cruising for example,or pheraps to see ships in the scren? I
think this is not dependent of the Mayday function, witch is suported
too, but shows diferent symbols, colors and alarms.

In this case I will have more than one talker?

Thanks

Pascal

"Gerard van Toornenberg." wrote in message ...
You are right some are outdated.

Gerard

"Meindert Sprang" schreef in bericht
"Gerard van Toornenberg." wrote in message
Take a look at http://vancouver-webpages.com/peter/nmeafaq.txt

That info is pretty old. More like NMEA-0183 V2 or so. V3.1 has a lot of
sentences with extra/new fields added.

Meindert

Larry W4CSC

"Gerard van Toornenberg." wrote in
:

wil be replaced one of these days for a Bluetooth Miniplex.

Bluetooth needs more range. Lionheart has a Netgear wireless 802.11g LAN
up and running, awaiting the delivery of the LAN-enabled, WEP-PROTECTED,
marine instrumentation at maximum speeds to connect to it....(c;

No, you can't have the WEP passwords.....

krj

I don't know which VHF/DSC radio you have, but all the ones I have
looked at only receive GPS data. ICOM, Uniden, West Marine only have a
GPS in lead. My Garmin drives four listeners, auto pilot, Pactor IIe,
Uniden VHF/DSC and computer with Nobeltec Navigation software. The
computer is the only device that can transfer data to the GPS.
krj

Pascal Goncalves wrote:

[...]

Meindert Sprang

"Wout B" wrote in message

"Meindert Sprang" wrote in message
Well, ShipModul, of course. Are there any others? :-)

Wishful thinking mate! :-)

:-)))

Meindert

Meindert Sprang

"Larry W4CSC" wrote in message
"Gerard van Toornenberg." wrote in
:

wil be replaced one of these days for a Bluetooth Miniplex.

Bluetooth needs more range. Lionheart has a Netgear wireless 802.11g LAN
up and running, awaiting the delivery of the LAN-enabled, WEP-PROTECTED,
marine instrumentation at maximum speeds to connect to it....(c;

Well, Bluetooth HAS good range, at least *we* use a Class 1 that can go up
to 100 meters. But the problem on the other end is that most PDA's and
computer dongles are class 2, reaching only 10 meters. And of course, there
is a reason for that: power. Turn on wifi on a PDA and your batteries are
dead after 2 hours. Bluetooth lasts much longer, it can go down to 1/100 of
the power consumption of a wifi interface.

Meindert

Eric Fairbank

I know that the Icom M602 has both input and output.

Eric

"krj" wrote in message
I don't know which VHF/DSC radio you have, but all the ones I have looked
at only receive GPS data. ICOM, Uniden, West Marine only have a GPS in
lead.

Eric Fairbank

The new Uniden UM625 and UM525 also have nmea output.

Eric