Pascal Goncalves

Default NMEA 183 V3.1

Anibody can tell me the diferences betwen V3.1 and V2.0? Or better,
who have the NMEA 183 specs can send me a copy? I read somewhere that
the V 3.1 alows for more than one talker: this is true?

I am interested specifically in the RMB, RMC, BWC, XTE, DSC, DSE, to
interface autopiots and VHF/DSC radios.

Thanks

Pascal Honcalves
Meindert Sprang

"Pascal Goncalves" wrote in message
om...
Anibody can tell me the diferences betwen V3.1 and V2.0? Or better,
who have the NMEA 183 specs can send me a copy?

The NMEA specs are copyrighted material and can only be obtained, at a cost,
from www.nmea.org.

I read somewhere that
the V 3.1 alows for more than one talker: this is true?

No. Data from more than one talker can only be combined using an NMEA
multiplexer.

Meindert

Gerard van Toornenberg.

Take a look at http://vancouver-webpages.com/peter/nmeafaq.txt

Regards,
Gerard van Toornenberg, Lemmer @ N 52° 51.352', E 05° 41.834' Nederland
Email :
Homepage :
http://members.home.nl/gvantoornenberg/

"Pascal Goncalves" schreef in bericht
om...
Anibody can tell me the diferences betwen V3.1 and V2.0? Or better,
who have the NMEA 183 specs can send me a copy? I read somewhere that
the V 3.1 alows for more than one talker: this is true?

I am interested specifically in the RMB, RMC, BWC, XTE, DSC, DSE, to
interface autopiots and VHF/DSC radios.

Thanks

Pascal Honcalves

Larry W4CSC

"Meindert Sprang" wrote in
:

No. Data from more than one talker can only be combined using an NMEA
multiplexer.

Meindert

Any particular BRAND of NMEA multiplexer come to mind?.....(c;

Meindert Sprang

"Gerard van Toornenberg." wrote in message
Take a look at http://vancouver-webpages.com/peter/nmeafaq.txt

That info is pretty old. More like NMEA-0183 V2 or so. V3.1 has a lot of
sentences with extra/new fields added.

Meindert

Meindert Sprang

"Larry W4CSC" wrote in message
"Meindert Sprang" wrote in
:

No. Data from more than one talker can only be combined using an NMEA
multiplexer.

Meindert

Any particular BRAND of NMEA multiplexer come to mind?.....(c;

Well, ShipModul, of course. Are there any others? :-)

Meindert

Jack Erbes

Meindert Sprang wrote:

"Pascal Goncalves" wrote in message
om...

Anibody can tell me the diferences betwen V3.1 and V2.0? Or better,
who have the NMEA 183 specs can send me a copy?

The NMEA specs are copyrighted material and can only be obtained, at a cost,
from www.nmea.org.

I'm a little confused about this. There are numerous explanations of
the NMEA sentences on the net, examples are Peter Bennet and Glenn
Baddeley's web sites:

http://vancouver-webpages.com/peter/nmeafaq.txt
http://home.mira.net/~gnb/gps/nmea.html

Those seem to contain most or all the NMEA 0183 information that anyone
would want. If you paid NMEA's sort of costly membership fee and
acquired their not too cheap specs, what more would be gained by doing
that?

Do you have to be a NMEA member to use the standard in firmware? Or
software?

Jack

--
Jack Erbes in Ellsworth, Maine, USA - jackerbes at adelphia dot net
(also receiving email at jacker at midmaine.com)
Meindert Sprang

"Jack Erbes" wrote in message
I'm a little confused about this. There are numerous explanations of
the NMEA sentences on the net, examples are Peter Bennet and Glenn
Baddeley's web sites:

http://vancouver-webpages.com/peter/nmeafaq.txt
http://home.mira.net/~gnb/gps/nmea.html

Those seem to contain most or all the NMEA 0183 information that anyone
would want. If you paid NMEA's sort of costly membership fee and
acquired their not too cheap specs, what more would be gained by doing
that?

Those sites contain only a part of the existing NMEA sentences and are
pre-V3.0. So if you can live with this info, no problem. But if you want to
develop software that gets the most out of modern equipment, it would be
wise the have the latest version available. For instance, on the sites you
mention, none of the descriptions of the GPRMC sentence show you the mode
indicator field which tells you if the fix is valid or not.

The standard expands as new equipment comes on the market. A nice example is
AIS. This required the definition of a whole new set of sentences, covered
from V3.0 and upwards.

Do you have to be a NMEA member to use the standard in firmware? Or
software?

No. Anyone can buy the standard from NMEA. But members get a discount.

Meindert

Gerard van Toornenberg.

You are right some are outdated.

Gerard

"Meindert Sprang" schreef in bericht
"Gerard van Toornenberg." wrote in message
Take a look at http://vancouver-webpages.com/peter/nmeafaq.txt

That info is pretty old. More like NMEA-0183 V2 or so. V3.1 has a lot of
sentences with extra/new fields added.

Meindert

Gerard van Toornenberg.

In the very begin used the only available multiplexer from Noland but
succesfully alread for years the USB Miniplex from www.Shipmodu.nll which
wil be replaced one of these days for a Bluetooth Miniplex.
Have you already visit www.raymarine.com For me the brand new multiplexer is
from Shipmodul.

Gerard

"Larry W4CSC" schreef in bericht