Alberto \(Tilax\)

Default Bluetooth GPS

I'm buying a GPS receiver.. one of those little boxes without any display
but transmitting data with bluetooth protocol.
I've also a notebook pc I'd like to use with a marine navigation software
and ad smartphone nokia 6600.

Anyone has already tried such a receiver?
I'm wondering if I can get satellite signals while the receiver (and so the
antenna) is 'downstairs' (sigh, don't know the english term) in the boat.
If not, does it work fi the receiver is near the rudder wheel and the
notebook is 'downstairs' (If I cannot keep the receiver inside hope the
bluetooth has enough power to transmit to the notebook.. wich would be
down).

[Sorry for my english] :-(

Thanks.
Alberto.-

Jack Erbes

Alberto (Tilax) wrote:
I'm buying a GPS receiver.. one of those little boxes without any display
but transmitting data with bluetooth protocol.
I've also a notebook pc I'd like to use with a marine navigation software
and ad smartphone nokia 6600.

Anyone has already tried such a receiver?
I'm wondering if I can get satellite signals while the receiver (and so the
antenna) is 'downstairs' (sigh, don't know the english term) in the boat.

The GPS receiver should be able to maintain a fix down in the cabin or
below decks (downstairs) if it is not shielded by large masses of metal.
My handheld (Magellan 330M) will maintain a fix almost anywhere in a
fibreglas boat, in an automobile, indoors in a single story house and,
to a lesser extent, even in the basement of the house.

If not, does it work fi the receiver is near the rudder wheel and the
notebook is 'downstairs' (If I cannot keep the receiver inside hope the
bluetooth has enough power to transmit to the notebook.. wich would be
down).

That would depend on how good the Bluetooth connection is. That can
come down to both the power levels (Class) of the Bluetooth transceivers
involved and the physical positioning of the two devices.

I have not tried a Bluetooth GPS receiver but, based on my experience
with other Bluetooth devices, I would expect the receiver to notebook
connection to work at the separations in a typical boat. Some
repositioning of the Bluetooth GPS transceiver may be required to find a
workable situation.

Can you find a pair of Bluetooth devices to test with before you commit
to buying? That may help you decide.

[Sorry for my english] :-(

You are doing fine, I'll bet your English is much better than my
Italian. :)

Jack

--
Jack Erbes in Ellsworth, Maine, USA - jackerbes at adelphia dot net
(also receiving email at jacker at midmaine.com)