Wm. E. Fletcher

Default boat won't start

89 Wellcraft Coastal, twin 230's. Port engine won't start unless ;one
raps on the starter or solenoid cylinder. Rather incomvenient out in
Lake Erie to get it started. My basic question is , can I use an
automotive solenoid and does NAPA sell those? Is there a definite
marine solenoid? Thank you. Bill

Jack Painter

"Wm. E. Fletcher" wrote in message
89 Wellcraft Coastal, twin 230's. Port engine won't start unless ;one
raps on the starter or solenoid cylinder. Rather incomvenient out in
Lake Erie to get it started. My basic question is , can I use an
automotive solenoid and does NAPA sell those? Is there a definite
marine solenoid? Thank you. Bill

Hi Bill, the starter can be rebuilt, the solenoid should be replaced with an
OEM or Mfr authorized equivalent. You don't want Jeep parts in your boat
(old American Motors Company used to be infamous for using the lowest bidder
on engine accessories each year, nothing fit or matched, lol).

What's biting in Lake Erie right now?

Jack
Virginia Beach VA

William G. Andersen

The reason for using marine equipment instead of automotive equipment is
because the marine equipment is sealed to prevent electrical sparks that
could ignite fuel fumes.

"Wm. E. Fletcher" wrote in message
89 Wellcraft Coastal, twin 230's. Port engine won't start unless ;one
raps on the starter or solenoid cylinder. Rather incomvenient out in
Lake Erie to get it started. My basic question is , can I use an
automotive solenoid and does NAPA sell those? Is there a definite
marine solenoid? Thank you. Bill

Dennis Pogson

William G. Andersen wrote:
The reason for using marine equipment instead of automotive equipment
is because the marine equipment is sealed to prevent electrical
sparks that could ignite fuel fumes.

Is that what the reason is? And all along I thought it was the greedy
*******s in the marine trade trying to make a buck at our expense!

--
Remove "nospam" from return address.

---

Keith

Yep. We had a boat explode at our fuel dock the other day, sending 5 people
to the hospital, one critical. He had just fueled his boat, didn't run the
blower, and as soon as he hit the starter, BOOM. Probably used a NAPA
starter part. Stick with marine grade stuff in the engine room at least!

--

Keith
__
"William G. Andersen" wrote in message
The reason for using marine equipment instead of automotive equipment is
because the marine equipment is sealed to prevent electrical sparks that
could ignite fuel fumes.

"Wm. E. Fletcher" wrote in message
89 Wellcraft Coastal, twin 230's. Port engine won't start unless ;one
raps on the starter or solenoid cylinder. Rather incomvenient out in
Lake Erie to get it started. My basic question is , can I use an
automotive solenoid and does NAPA sell those? Is there a definite
marine solenoid? Thank you. Bill

Wm. E. Fletcher

Hi, Jack. Thanks for your response. In Lake Erie we have had a greeat
season but the walleye fishing has been poor in the central basin this
year. Those that are caught are relatively small- laarger next year we
hope. Steelhead season is approaching and that is usually fun if you
can handle the wet, cold weather. Bill F.

Jack Painter wrote:
"Wm. E. Fletcher" wrote in message

89 Wellcraft Coastal, twin 230's. Port engine won't start unless ;one
raps on the starter or solenoid cylinder. Rather incomvenient out in
Lake Erie to get it started. My basic question is , can I use an
automotive solenoid and does NAPA sell those? Is there a definite
marine solenoid? Thank you. Bill

Hi Bill, the starter can be rebuilt, the solenoid should be replaced with an
OEM or Mfr authorized equivalent. You don't want Jeep parts in your boat
(old American Motors Company used to be infamous for using the lowest bidder
on engine accessories each year, nothing fit or matched, lol).

What's biting in Lake Erie right now?

Jack
Virginia Beach VA

Jack Painter

"Wm. E. Fletcher" wrote

Hi, Jack. Thanks for your response. In Lake Erie we have had a greeat
season but the walleye fishing has been poor in the central basin this
year. Those that are caught are relatively small- laarger next year we
hope. Steelhead season is approaching and that is usually fun if you
can handle the wet, cold weather. Bill F.

Hi Bill, I miss the Lake Erie Perch, best tasting fish in the world ;-)

Soon, it will be time in Erie for this:

http://www.erieyachtclub.org/sailingfleet/iceboat.html

While it always was a lot of fun, this part of Erie's weather I do *not*
miss!

Hope you fix your starter while there's still some fishing season left.

Cheers,

Jack
Virginia Beach VA

Fiberglass vs plastic bb General 74 March 15th 11 07:53 PM
Bought a Reinel 26' FamilySailor ASA 290 August 11th 04 02:29 PM
oday 25, for the beginner or not? Phracktal Cruising 12 June 7th 04 05:43 AM
I was a Mac26X owner EdGordonRN ASA 119 April 22nd 04 04:58 AM