Moose

Default New VHF - Furuno vs. Icom

I'm looking for a new VHF radio for my boat. This will be for recreational
use, but it will be exposed to the elements, so I'd like something
waterproof and durable. The candidates a

Furuno FM3000
Icom M502

All thoughts and advice are appreciated.

Thanks,

Moose

Moose

Doug wrote:

The Furuno FM3000 is OEM (manufactured) by Icom. So you are comparing Icom
with a trademarked Icom with the Furuno name on it.
Doug K7ABX

Interesting...

So even if made by the same manufacturer, there may be differences. When
choosing between the M502, FM3000, and M602, are the differences merely
features? ...or is one or more of these units a "commercial duty" one that
will withstand abuse/elements better than the others?

I like the M602, but don't want to simply pay for features that I probably
won't use, (power hailer built in), but I would like the best
durability/reliability possible.

Again, thanks for your help!

Moose
Wayne.B

On Tue, 12 Oct 2004 03:50:14 GMT, Moose wrote:

So even if made by the same manufacturer, there may be differences. When
choosing between the M502, FM3000, and M602, are the differences merely
features? ...or is one or more of these units a "commercial duty" one that
will withstand abuse/elements better than the others?

My experience with ICOM equipment is that all of it seems to be well
built and very reliable, regardless of model. My advice is to not pay
for features that you are unlikely to use.

Moose

Wayne.B wrote:

On Tue, 12 Oct 2004 03:50:14 GMT, Moose wrote:

So even if made by the same manufacturer, there may be differences. When
choosing between the M502, FM3000, and M602, are the differences merely
features? ...or is one or more of these units a "commercial duty" one that
will withstand abuse/elements better than the others?

My experience with ICOM equipment is that all of it seems to be well
built and very reliable, regardless of model. My advice is to not pay
for features that you are unlikely to use.

I've looked into this situation further, and have found that the Furuno
FM3000 and Icom M502 are EXACTLY the same radio - same circuit board,
electronics, microphone, and display. You pay about a $65 premium for the
Furuno face plate.

Now the Icom M602 is a different radio. Different internals, slightly better
signal to noise ratio, etc. i.e. It's a better radio. Not just more
features, but higher end specs, too.

Whether or not it's worth the extra $250 will be up to the individual
buyer...

Still, I think these are the best quality radios one can buy. If anyone
knows of something better, let me know.

Moose

Doug

Have you looked at the SEA157? We have tugboat customers who won't use any
other brand. Some operator familiarization is required as the controls are
not intuitively obvious. We have areas on the Columbia River where local VHF
high band public safety radios (police, fire, ambulance) blast through on
top of marine channels on most brands. The SEA brand is immune to the
interference.
I have not had reports of any public safety interference on the new Standard
and Icom units, but have not really sought out the information either.
From a factory warranty standpoint, Vertex Standard Horizon is hard to beat.
They stand behind their equipment the best.
Doug K7ABX
"Moose" wrote in message
Wayne.B wrote:

[...]

Jack Painter

"Doug" wrote
Have you looked at the SEA157? We have tugboat customers who won't use any
other brand. Some operator familiarization is required as the controls are
not intuitively obvious. We have areas on the Columbia River where local

VHF
high band public safety radios (police, fire, ambulance) blast through on
top of marine channels on most brands. The SEA brand is immune to the
interference.
I have not had reports of any public safety interference on the new

Standard
and Icom units, but have not really sought out the information either.
From a factory warranty standpoint, Vertex Standard Horizon is hard to

beat.
They stand behind their equipment the best.
Doug K7ABX

Hi Doug, public safety intermod is a real problem all over the Hampton
Roads, VA area also. I have noted some Horizon radios subject to it underway
while scanning, others while guarding one channel only. Maybe the
manufacturers are at odds with themselves when they build a radio to scan,
as the spurious signal rejection ability probably suffers when the squelch
has to have such a fast attack.

From my fixed land station near the beach, I have no intermod from Icom
R-7000's (guard receivers) and none from a JRC-200 marine transceiver, even
when scanning. But a police-scanner-receiver trying to scan marine bands is
almost useless as the intermod just overpowers them, especially if fed
through active multicouplers. A friend's Icom-502 is *useless* at his
fixed-land station due to nearby cell tower and public safety intermod.

73,

Jack
Virginia Beach VA

Me

In article . net,
"Doug" wrote:

Have you looked at the SEA157? We have tugboat customers who won't use any
other brand. Some operator familiarization is required as the controls are
not intuitively obvious. We have areas on the Columbia River where local VHF
high band public safety radios (police, fire, ambulance) blast through on
top of marine channels on most brands. The SEA brand is immune to the
interference.
I have not had reports of any public safety interference on the new Standard
and Icom units, but have not really sought out the information either.
From a factory warranty standpoint, Vertex Standard Horizon is hard to beat.
They stand behind their equipment the best.
Doug K7ABX

and the SEA157 is back in production, and that is "Way Cool"........

Me