Steve

Default Video Interface Cable. Furuno RP-110 <> Furuno Radar

I'm having trouble locating this cable or even a part number (furuno hasn't
been much help).

What I have is the RP-110 chart plotter and to connect it to the Furuno
radar (and a few other radar makes) requires a special video cable and a
switch PC board. These are provided as installation parts with the original
RP-110 unit. However, the when radars get replaced or upgraded, the
installation tech (or owners) negelect to remove the cable and switch PCB
from the old radars. Hence the reason the RP-110s are now showing up on
eBay without these installation parts.

The other alternative would be to build my own but there isn't any pin
assignment diagrams for the RP-110 or details on this solid state switch
PCB.

Yes I know this is old technology but I happen to have a good collection of
the Navtronic chart cards for my cruising area and kinda like the simplicity
when I don't have the Laptop working or on the chart table.

I have a cable from an older RP-100 but it is totally different in
configuration and function.

Any help would be appreciated.

Steve
s/v Good Intentions

Bruce in Alaska

In article ,
"Steve" wrote:

[...]

Did you call Don Sr. or Jr and see if they can give you a copy
of the cable wiring? I would bet they have in their files.

Bruce in alaska
--
add a 2 before @
Steve

Your probably correct. Ya know! Sometimes I hate to bother them with my
little problems. When ever I'm in their shop (hole in the wall) they seem to
be over whelmed with work. I don't think there are looking for new business.
They don't even have a sign on the building or door.

In fact when I was in their shop the other day, I notice older Furuno (crt
models) piled to the overhead. There is a strong possibility that they may
have one with this cable hanging out of the back.

That is the problem with this 'lashup', to plug the RP-110 into the radar,
you have to open the case, remove a shield, unplug the video from the
processor, connect the switch PCB to the video and processor and plug the
RP-110 the switch board.

Complicated but 'do-able'. However when Capt. Big Bucks buys a new radar at
the boat show, he pays some Tech kid to install it.. He unplugs the radar
from all other inputs tosses the old unit in the back of his truck. Installs
new and collects his $150 for a job well done..

The skipper doesn't realize that his old RP-110 or RP-100 won't function
anymore, so he list it on eBay and gets $100 since it doesn't have any
cables. Hey! It's old tech and he saw samething better at the boat show
anyway.

Then Furuno will charge $140 for the new cable plus $85 for the switch PCB..
However, Furuno doesn't have them anymore and will refer you to your local
dealer..

I knew about the missing cable when I purchased it but though the cable from
my RP-100 would work. Wasn't aware of the need for this switch PCB unit I
got the manual.

All said and done, I still like the Furuno equipment..

Steve
s/v Good Intentions