Jim Lea

Default On board generators

I am considering buying a 4 kW diesel generator for our sailboat, and am
interested in opinions on various makes. So far, I have not seen too many
makes, and would appreciate info on types I have not yet looked at. I have
looked at: Westerbeke ($$$), FischerPanda (can't find a dealer), Entec, and
American Generators.

Wayne.B

On Wed, 6 Oct 2004 20:29:14 -0300, "Jim Lea" wrote:
I am considering buying a 4 kW diesel generator for our sailboat, and am
interested in opinions on various makes. So far, I have not seen too many
makes, and would appreciate info on types I have not yet looked at. I have
looked at: Westerbeke ($$$), FischerPanda (can't find a dealer), Entec, and
American Generators.

Kohler seems to have one of the better warranties for what it's worth.
I installed a new 7.5KW Kohler on my old boat and am about to install
a 20KW on the new boat.

Rich

I have a Westerbeke 5.0BCA unit and I have run it for 7 seasons and
over 1000 hours. Runs great. I had a problem with an intermittent
generating 12v winding in the electrical end that did drive me crazy
for 4 years. However upon a hard failure (fault now known) Westerbeke
paid for everything related to the repair. Removal/ shipping to
factory, refurb, return shipping, and reinstall. Additionally they
did a 500 hour PM at no charge at the factory and provided numerous
spae parts at no charge to help me troubleshoot the problem. They
also waived the co-pay on this problem since I had documentation that
the problem occurred during the first year.

I would rather not have had the problem, but it speaks well of a
manufacturer to step up to the plate on a 4 year old machine. The
warrantee is also 5 years.

Bottom line is I would buy another Westerbeke without hesitation.

Rich

"Jim Lea" wrote:

I am considering buying a 4 kW diesel generator for our sailboat, and am
interested in opinions on various makes. So far, I have not seen too many
makes, and would appreciate info on types I have not yet looked at. I have
looked at: Westerbeke ($$$), FischerPanda (can't find a dealer), Entec, and
American Generators.

Bruce in Alaska

In article , "Jim Lea"
wrote:

I am considering buying a 4 kW diesel generator for our sailboat, and am
interested in opinions on various makes. So far, I have not seen too many
makes, and would appreciate info on types I have not yet looked at. I have
looked at: Westerbeke ($$$), FischerPanda (can't find a dealer), Entec, and
American Generators.

Nothing like a good Northern Lights "Lugger" Genset.......

Bruce in alaska
--
add a 2 before @

Mark Reichow

I've got a 1989 4kw Kohler with over 4000 hrs and still going strong.
Northern Lights also have a great rep. Do a search in Google Groups
for "Fischer Panda". There's plenty of feedback on 'em and if what
you find is not enough to cure you of any thoughts about buying one,
there's no hope for you.
Ed

I have a NextGen 5.5 and despite a few minor issues with sensors, it has
run fine for 2 years. It has a 8KW gen on it with a motor set up for
5.5 KW. It can run 110 and/or 220. If you buy one.... get a spare
capacitor (they are heat sensitive), spare relay, spare Oil and temp
sensor AND buy the battery charge option. (The system eats 12V power for
it's excitor and monitoring system) Kubato parts are available at any
Kubato dealership.