about time

Default Why all the political talk on boating board

There is so much political talk on this board you almost can't find
the threads related to boats.

Why don't you guys take the political stuff to a different place so
people here can enjoy what they are looking for; great info and advice
on boats.
Jay

uh oh.. you've gone and done it now.. you've woken up the evil
boating-political monster...
heh.. be prepared.. and set dem filters... you might as well ignore this
thread from post one : P

-j

"about time" wrote in message
om...
There is so much political talk on this board you almost can't find
the threads related to boats.

Why don't you guys take the political stuff to a different place so
people here can enjoy what they are looking for; great info and advice
on boats.

IBNFSHN

They won't do it because if they went to a real political group, they would
get eaten alive. I think 95% of them are trolls and know it and the other 5%
are trolls and don't know it.

--
Bill
Chesapeake, Va

"about time" wrote in message
om...
There is so much political talk on this board you almost can't find
the threads related to boats.

Why don't you guys take the political stuff to a different place so
people here can enjoy what they are looking for; great info and advice
on boats.

Gary Warner

o This is a Usenet newsgroup, not a "board."

o I don't know why others post about politics here. But from all
the responses and banter it seems there are many interested in
the discussion.

o I try to post mostly about boats and only sometimes about
politics. One of the reasons I post about politics is because it
interests me. One of the reasons I post here is because after
reading this newsgroup for five years I have some knowledge
of the people posting. That makes the political discussion more
relevant and interesting to me than in other groups.

o The idea is often floated that if people posted their thoughts to
political boards or groups they would get "eaten alive." Most
of the political groups I've checked in on don't have any
higher standards of argument or knowledge than this one.

o Political groups pose another problem. Most of them seem
to me to be 100's of single posts and very little discussion.
Sometimes there are one or two or five replies but not
often. Here one gets lively discussion.

o As the oft used analogy goes: It's like talking politics at
your local marina bar.

o Most groups I frequent have political discussion even though
the groups are not political groups. It's something that touches
all walks of life and people with all interests.

o If you don't like the politics it is VERY easy to ignore them. You
can filter on a few words, block posts from a few people, and you
hardly see the politics. (Or so I've heard.)

o Lastly and most importantly, this newsgroup is GREAT for
boating. Almost any question or post you make about boating
gets many knowledgeable and interesting responses.

So what is the problem?

Doug Kanter

"Gary Warner" wrote in message

o As the oft used analogy goes: It's like talking politics at
your local marina bar.

That's MY analogy, but I'll let you mention it this time without hearing
from my lawyers.

Marshall Banana

Also Sprach Gary Warner :

o As the oft used analogy goes: It's like talking politics at
your local marina bar.

It's more like a few drunken morons in the corner talking politics at your
local marina bar, then one of them breaks the bottom off a bottle of
scotch and runs around the room jabbing glass shards into the gut of
someone discussing whether an anchor rode is a rope or a line.

o Lastly and most importantly, this newsgroup is GREAT for
boating. Almost any question or post you make about boating
gets many knowledgeable and interesting responses.

And eventually, some asshat will steer ANY actual on-topic thread into a
back stabbing political free for all.

Dan

--
Anyone who cannot cope with mathematics is not fully human. At best he
is a tolerable subhuman who has learned to wear shoes, bathe and not

Jim Donohue

It is a well established tradition and is going to be maintained whether
you, I or anyone else likes it. Ignore it, join it, or find another list.
It is also one of the best places known for a boating question or
discussion.

(And the political discussion is pretty high quality in my opinion...better
than most usenet or other lists. We should charge money to read Harry and
his trollees.)

Jim
"about time" wrote in message
om...
There is so much political talk on this board you almost can't find
the threads related to boats.

Why don't you guys take the political stuff to a different place so
people here can enjoy what they are looking for; great info and advice
on boats.

Gary Warner

"IBNFSHN" wrote in message
Damn, talk about rationalizing.

--
Bill
Chesapeake, Va

You have something against explicitly knowing
the reasons for which you do something?

Doug Kanter

"IBNFSHN" wrote in message
Damn, talk about rationalizing.

--
Bill
Chesapeake, Va

You have something against explicitly knowing
the reasons for which you do something?

Like voting a certain way? :-)