Sam

Default SSB reception/world radio

Can anybody recommend a small radio that would allow me to listen (no
transmit) to local SSB broadcasts without having to install a full fledged
SSB radio/tuner/stay antenna? This would be for a sailing boat. Any
suggestion on making a simple antenna? Some of the Sony World Radios claim
to be able to receive SSB. How well does it work? I am planning to use it in
Mexico to tune in to the local weather nets.

Thanks,

Sam

Chuck

Hello Sam,

You might elaborate on what you mean by local SSB
broadcasts.

The Sony type portables that claim SSB actually do
work ok. Clumsy, perhaps, but usablel. Sangean
portables have a good reputation also. You might
even consider purchase of a used ham transceiver
for ~$200. You will find it to be far better than
a portable, even with a makeshift antenna, and it
can also provide weatherfax and other useful
features. In a true emergency, you can operate it
without a license, and you may one day want to
explore ham radio.

The portables usually have a whip that is
surprisingly useful, even in the cabin of a
sailboat. You can clip a wire to a shroud or
backstay if you need more. Experiment! Have fun!

Good luck!

Chuck

Sam wrote:
Can anybody recommend a small radio that would allow me to listen (no
transmit) to local SSB broadcasts without having to install a full fledged
SSB radio/tuner/stay antenna? This would be for a sailing boat. Any
suggestion on making a simple antenna? Some of the Sony World Radios claim
to be able to receive SSB. How well does it work? I am planning to use it in
Mexico to tune in to the local weather nets.

Thanks,

Sam

John Helgerson

I have a Sony ICF-SW7600GR that I use in the Caribbean. It is great!

Previously I had a similar radio from Radio Shack. It was a peice of junk
and Radio Shack didn't care.

John Helgerson

"Sam" wrote in message
m...
Can anybody recommend a small radio that would allow me to listen (no
transmit) to local SSB broadcasts without having to install a full fledged
SSB radio/tuner/stay antenna? This would be for a sailing boat. Any
suggestion on making a simple antenna? Some of the Sony World Radios claim
to be able to receive SSB. How well does it work? I am planning to use it

in
Mexico to tune in to the local weather nets.

Thanks,

Sam

Bobsprit

The Sony ICF-SW7600GR trounces the Grundig Yachtboy 400 for SSB reception by
the way. But the sound of the sony is really poor and hard to take for anything
else.

RB
Jack Painter

"Bobsprit" wrote

The Sony ICF-SW7600GR trounces the Grundig Yachtboy 400 for SSB reception

by
the way. But the sound of the sony is really poor and hard to take for

anything
else.

RB

Bob, too bad about Sony's audio, as the Grundig is well known for high
fidelity ;-)

While the YB-400 PE's tuning dial is a little annoying to get it settled
near the proper sideband, when it is, it doesn't miss anything. Mine has
pulled in weak signals from vessels and aircraft that master stations from
Canadian Armed Forces to USCG have both had difficulty with or missed
entirely at the same time. You might feel the Sony is a little better from
personal experience, maybe it is. But nothing "trounces" the YB400,
anywhere. Truly an amazing receiver in my opinion, and the best emergency
backup receiver I could imagine.

Jack

Michael St. Angelo

Sam,

Look at the ICOM IC-703 HF Amateur radio transceiver. Amateur radio
receivers are much superior to portable shortwave receivers. It has 105
memeory channels to store frequencies any may be controlled by a computer
via a serial port. In adddition, you have a ten watt Hf transmitter with a
built in antenna tuner if you decide to get your Ham radio license.

You can use a long wire for decent reception. Any length greater that 10
feet will do for recepton.

The radio is on sale for $400 dollars since was replaced by the IC-703plus,
which has 6meters as well as the HF band.

Regard's

Mike

SSB reception/world radio Sam Cruising 6 August 23rd 04 08:40 PM
RDF for newbies and NN of KN JAXAshby ASA 22 March 11th 04 11:54 PM
VANISHED (stolen?)- a new (and unique) 57' Beneteau [email protected] Cruising 18 January 13th 04 12:26 AM
Radio for Newbies...... Gould 0738 General 10 August 18th 03 12:56 PM