David Brister

Default Mooring

I am grateful to those who responded to my query. Almost universal consensus
is that it makes more sense to take the load off the winch bearing. I am
impressed by the argument that a strong surge could bend the winch. .From
now I will put a stopper knot on the lines, cleat up and take the load off
the winch or a stopper on the chain. Back to lurk mode with thanks.

David Brister.

Wayne.B

On Mon, 2 Aug 2004 14:01:49 +0200, "David Brister"
wrote:
I am grateful to those who responded to my query. Almost universal consensus
is that it makes more sense to take the load off the winch bearing. I am
impressed by the argument that a strong surge could bend the winch. .From
now I will put a stopper knot on the lines, cleat up and take the load off
the winch or a stopper on the chain. Back to lurk mode with thanks.

================================

Nothing too elaborate is required. With a conventional nylon rode,
just pull some slack by hand and wrap it onto a nearby cleat.

With chain, I like to use what I call a "hook line". This is a 10 or
15 ft piece of nylon line with a hook spliced into one end. Engage
the anchor chain with the hook, cleat the free end, and then pay out
more chain with the windlass, transfering the load to the hook line.

long term mooring design - an engineering question mitch Cruising 5 July 18th 04 05:05 PM
Rust on a mooring chain J Bard ASA 2 May 21st 04 12:09 AM
Sittin' on my mooring Simple Simon ASA 8 September 10th 03 03:09 AM
MOORING Jen Meyer General 7 July 15th 03 01:19 PM