Jen Meyer

Default MOORING

Two questions about mooring my ODay 28:

1. Which is preferable for the mooring pendant, braided or three strand
line

2. Should I run the line through the line chocks on the bow and then to
the bow cleat, or over the bow roller and to the bow cleat.

Thanks in advance and thanks to those who helped me with my previous
newbie questions.

Marty Browne

here are some other opinions.
I prefer the boat chocks to a bow roller for anchor and mooring lines.
this is because most rollers don't have any mechanism for holding the
pendant in position and the sides tend to be less kind to the line about
chafe-resistance.
about 3-strand vs braided, the answer is NYLON. Nylon stretches. I
prefer braided because it is more chafe resistant due to the multiple
strands that support the line. Using a chafe preventor is a recommended
practice. Using two pendants, one through the port chock, and one
through the starboard chock is also very smart.
Good luck.

d parker wrote:
"Jen Meyer" wrote in message

Two questions about mooring my ODay 28:

1. Which is preferable for the mooring pendant, braided or three strand
line

Three strand silver rope. It stretches.

2. Should I run the line through the line chocks on the bow and then to
the bow cleat, or over the bow roller and to the bow cleat.

Roller -assuming you only have one line involved.. You can also put plastic
tube over the rope to prevent wear

DP

Louis

"Marty Browne" wrote in message
about 3-strand vs braided, I prefer braided because it is more chafe
resistant due to the multiple strands that support the line.

Yes, but doesn't the use of braided Nylon reduce it's ability to stretch?
We use three-strand Nylon and secure the boat using a bridle, not a single
line over the roller. I agree that roller will create an opportunity for
chafe. It also lengthens the arm by which shocks are transmitted to the
hull.

Regards,

Louis

Njord

"Louis" wrote in message
.. .

"Marty Browne" wrote in message
about 3-strand vs braided, I prefer braided because it is more chafe
resistant due to the multiple strands that support the line.

Yes, but doesn't the use of braided Nylon reduce it's ability to stretch?
We use three-strand Nylon and secure the boat using a bridle, not a single
line over the roller. I agree that roller will create an opportunity for
chafe. It also lengthens the arm by which shocks are transmitted to the
hull.

Regards,

Louis

Just my 2C. I vote for three strand-more stretch and the chock-stronger than
roller. Also suggest using spliced eye on both ends of the pendant with a
thimble and shackle on the mooring end.

--

Njord

I must go down to the seas again, for the call of the running tide
Is a wild call and a clear call that may not be denied;
And all I ask is a windy day with the white clouds flying,
And the flung spray and the blown spume, and the sea-gulls crying.

From Sea-Fever by John Masefield

Doug

I thoroughly agree with Marty,
I have my 24 Fter moored in an open bay, and use two nylon three strand
floating ropes 3/4 inch, that are about ten years old, even with that age
they hold very well and in some terrible storms that batter the east coast.
I feed my lines through the bow chocks, one on each side and things work
like a charm, I have never had any problems doing it that way and it has
been there for 27 years.

d parker wrote:
"Jen Meyer" wrote in message

Two questions about mooring my ODay 28:

1. Which is preferable for the mooring pendant, braided or three strand
line

Three strand silver rope. It stretches.

2. Should I run the line through the line chocks on the bow and then to
the bow cleat, or over the bow roller and to the bow cleat.

Roller -assuming you only have one line involved.. You can also put

plastic
tube over the rope to prevent wear

DP

Marty Browne

Hi all,
OK, we all seem to agree that Nylon line is important. Whether it is
3-strand or braided is personal choice. I believe that 3-strand has
better stetch-recover. I use braided line because it is more
chafe-resistant. And I use chafe protection on boat pendants.
I sail out of Marblehead Mass. We are open to the NE. That means that
our good, nor'easters really pound the boats. The primary concern in
Marblehead is chafe protection. Most of the boats use two pendants. Some
boats, near the mouth of the harbor use one nylon, and a shorter chain
or stainless wire pendant! When boats break free in storms, the evidence
usually indicates chafe as the culprit. I don't know of any boats where
the bow cleats, etc, were the failure cause.
I am sure that people have had other experiences in other harbors.

d parker wrote:

"Jen Meyer" wrote in message

Two questions about mooring my ODay 28:

1. Which is preferable for the mooring pendant, braided or three strand
line

Three strand silver rope. It stretches.

2. Should I run the line through the line chocks on the bow and then to
the bow cleat, or over the bow roller and to the bow cleat.

Roller -assuming you only have one line involved.. You can also put

plastic

tube over the rope to prevent wear

DP

Marty Browne

Jeff-
you are correct and I said it backwords. Yes the chain/wire pennant
should be longer than the nylon pennant, perhaps by several feet.
Marty

d parker wrote:

"Jen Meyer" wrote in message

Two questions about mooring my ODay 28:

1. Which is preferable for the mooring pendant, braided or three strand
line

Three strand silver rope. It stretches.

2. Should I run the line through the line chocks on the bow and then to
the bow cleat, or over the bow roller and to the bow cleat.

Roller -assuming you only have one line involved.. You can also put

plastic

tube over the rope to prevent wear

DP

long term mooring design - an engineering question mitch Cruising 5 July 18th 04 05:05 PM
slip or mooring costs Parallax Cruising 42 March 29th 04 05:16 PM
mooring anchors Parallax General 5 October 14th 03 05:05 PM
How to use mooring whips? JS General 4 July 13th 03 11:24 PM