posted to rec.boats.electronics

Default Piing Larry

Just finished a "Long Tom" Cantenna, built to see whether longer then
1 wave length wave guide wi-fi antenna was useful.

The Cantenna is two wavelength (that is calculated wave guide wave
length) long. For a 3 3/8" I.D. tube that is a 227.220 mm (8.915")
wave guide, so twice that in length for a channel 6 antenna. I also
added a 45 degree "funnel" which has a large diameter of twice the
tube diameter to the front of the tube that is not included in length
calculations..

I have only a software utility called "wavemon" (linux) to test with,
but receiving a signal from a selected wi-fi net antenna about a mile
away, I was getting a reading of 2 - 5 dBM on the old one wave length
antenna and 7 - 9 on the new (long tube) version. Regardless of what
the reference numbers approximately twice the received signal as the
old antenna.

Transfer speeds seem commensurate with the speed difference. From
occasional to pretty regular :-)

I wonder about 3 times? Or even 4 times....?

But I think I mentioned, someone gave me a 36 inch dish that I'm also
building. Just mentioned it to my wife and she said "WHERE do you
think you are going to put that?"

It may be that erecting it is going to be more of a problem then
building it :-)

Cheers,

Bruce
(bruceinbangkokatgmaildotcom)
posted to rec.boats.electronics

Bruce in Bangkok wrote in
:

I wonder about 3 times? Or even 4 times....?

Maybe this kind of experimentation is what happened to these guys!

http://www.resonancepub.com/images/R...elescope11.gif

They probably started out with a wifi cantenna and things just got out of
hand!

How big did you say your roof was?....(c;]

Try explaining one of these babies to the Thai Secret Police!

--
Creationism is to science what storks are to obstetrics...

Larry

posted to rec.boats.electronics

Bruce in Bangkok wrote in
:

It may be that erecting it is going to be more of a problem then
building it :-)

Keeping it looks like a problem, too! Do you want the antenna and sleep in
the street, or not?.....a non-issue, I bet.

--
Creationism is to science what storks are to obstetrics...

Larry

posted to rec.boats.electronics

Bruce in Bangkok wrote in
:

Just finished a "Long Tom" Cantenna, built to see whether longer then
1 wave length wave guide wi-fi antenna was useful.

Speaking of antennas, Apple Computer just came out with the Iphone 4,
another hobbled up mistake that will sell like hotcakes because it's Apple.

Some idiot who has zero experience with microwaves, put the antenna right
under the user's hand when he holds the phone at the bottom like humans
tend to do. Steve Jobs, Apple CEO, isn't human, we think, so holds it
elsewhere. The new owners are ****ed....oops, angry....so are venting
their frustrations with their expensive new toys.

This great video of the Hitler movie with English "translation" is
hilarioius!

http://www.onechap.com/news/iphoneupset****ler.html

--
Creationism is to science what storks are to obstetrics...

Larry

posted to rec.boats.electronics

On Sun, 27 Jun 2010 14:24:07 +0000, Larry wrote:

Bruce in Bangkok wrote in
:

It may be that erecting it is going to be more of a problem then
building it :-)

Keeping it looks like a problem, too! Do you want the antenna and sleep in
the street, or not?.....a non-issue, I bet.

I can set the antenna anywhere but the roof.... as I doubt the roof
would support it :-)

But seriously, most of the building is made with the woven bamboo
sheet siding sometimes used here - a former shipping company gudang
built of un sawn timber and bamboo matting, so hardly impervious to
radio waves.

Right now I'm looking at somewhere "out the back" and as we are
higher then the Marina I don't need to get up high to get a clear shot
at the system antennas.

By the way, it was just raining so hard that I couldn't see a fish
farm about 1200 Mtrs away, and the Long Tom Cantenna was faithfully
pulling in the signal from about a mile away.

Cheers,

Bruce
(bruceinbangkokatgmaildotcom)

posted to rec.boats.electronics

Bruce in Bangkok wrote in
:

By the way, it was just raining so hard that I couldn't see a fish
farm about 1200 Mtrs away, and the Long Tom Cantenna was faithfully
pulling in the signal from about a mile away.

Wow...impressive in heavy rain. Rain eats 2400 Mhz pretty bad. Bruce's
Beast is workin' good!

--
Global Warming and Creationism are to science what storks are to
obstetrics...

Larry

Something's afoot in America. The Feds have tied funding to forcing state
health departments to get everyone HIV tested this month. Not sure why but
there's always a reason. The tests are trash:

http://helpforhiv.com/

They'll test me over my dead cold body.
posted to rec.boats.electronics

On Mon, 28 Jun 2010 04:29:18 +0000, Larry wrote:

Bruce in Bangkok wrote in
:

By the way, it was just raining so hard that I couldn't see a fish
farm about 1200 Mtrs away, and the Long Tom Cantenna was faithfully
pulling in the signal from about a mile away.

Wow...impressive in heavy rain. Rain eats 2400 Mhz pretty bad. Bruce's
Beast is workin' good!

Possible someone's wife's brother-in-law is in the test kit making
business....

OT, Larry Martin[_4_] Cruising 5 May 16th 09 04:53 PM
Larry, this one's for you. Roger Long Cruising 13 August 26th 08 11:11 AM
LARRY! Molesworth Cruising 3 July 6th 08 07:01 PM
Hey Larry! Bob Furterona Cruising 1 May 30th 08 01:28 AM
Say Larry.. Roger Long Cruising 24 August 9th 07 03:05 PM