Default LARRY!

I've a 4cyl Yanmar 2004, 51HP.

I read a few months back about the 35 and 36i Delco-Remy Alternators.

Are these single wire types? Is it easy to rewire them if my existing
alternator has three wires? If so - how do I do it?

:-)

--
Molesworth

Molesworth wrote in news:ukmole-
:

I've a 4cyl Yanmar 2004, 51HP.

I read a few months back about the 35 and 36i Delco-Remy Alternators.

Are these single wire types? Is it easy to rewire them if my existing
alternator has three wires? If so - how do I do it?

:-)

--
Molesworth

Lotsa wires, including remote voltage sensing straight off the battery!

http://www.delcoremy.com/LiteratureD...6SI%20Product%
20Brochure.pdf

You could have answered your own questions at google.com by putting:
Delco Remy 36SI
into the search box and read all the websites it coughs up.

There's a fantastic graph on page 2 of this pdf file from Delco-Remy
that EVERY boater needs to look at.....the number of HOURS, at different
temperatures, it takes to bring a battery up from 75% to 100%. This
graph is in HOURS, not MINUTES AT 5000 AMPS....(c;

At freezing charging the battery is VERY VERY SLOW, INDEED!

Very nice looking alternator for boat service. I especially like the
remote sensing capabilities BUT WITH A BIG CAUTION! IF you're going to
hook it up using remote sensing...MAKE DAMNED SURE THE BOAT IS HOOKED UP
AT THE POINT WHERE THE SENSING IS HOOKED UP....NOT AT THE ALTERNATOR! A
corroded connection between the sensing point and the alternator's
output terminal could result in CONSIDERABLY more voltage to ground
between the corroded connection and the alternator output
terminal!....more than enough to blow the electronics suite aboard,
refridgeration compressors/controllers, etc.

Assuming the "engine speed" graph on the left side of pg 2 matches the
power output graph on the right side, at 170A at full speed, the
alternator is only about 60% efficient

170A at 14V = 2,380 watts. 2380 divided by 60% = nearly 4KW of
mechanical input from the pulley (3966W).

3966/746 watts/HP = 5.3HP drained off the engine at full speed...10% of
its shaft horsepower! At half speed, 1500 RPM engine speed the graph
at:
http://www.yanmarmarine.com/uploads/...E_TechData.pdf
(close to your engine...close enough)
shows us putting out about 24HP at 1500 RPM. That will result in half
speed on the alternator or 140A at 3000 alternator RPM. 140A x 14V =
1960W/60%=3267 mechanical watts in /746= 4.3HP when the enging is
putting out 24HP or about 18% of shaft horsepower!

Don't be alarmed when the microwave fires up and she drops like a rock
or you have a bogging problem when the house batteries are dead from
last night's big party! See why?

This is a helluva lot of load for a 50hp diesel you expect to power a
barge through the swells...(c; Just charging batteries, after the
initial blast for 20-30 minutes, will let the poor Yanmar power back
up...slowly. But charging batteries with the inverter cooking lunch is
going to pull hell out of her!

I'd also want TWO or THREE Vbelts pulling the beast around, not one
little thin belt that was driving the old 35A alternator. This beast
needs a much more serious DRIVE! MORE PULLEYS! MORE PULLEYS!

Well, it's been an interesting night, but it's past 1AM....gnite
Yanmar...(c;

The Yanmar specs say:
Continuous rating output at crankshaft 36.8 kW (50 hp) / 2907 rpm
and we're eating up to 4 KW of it...OVER 10%!

How much was diesel at the dock, yesterday??....(c;

Damned arithmetic.....always in the way!

Oh, another consideration worth considering. At full power there's
3966-2380=1,586 watts of HEAT pouring out of this beast into the engine
room! That's like running TWO electric heaters in there with the
engine! (Waste heat from inefficiency of the machine) DON'T FORGET TO
RUN ALL THE BLOWERS....or leave the engine room hatch open in winter..
(c;

I wonder how hot it would get at full load? Alternator manufacturers
are VERY shady about DUTY CYCLE. After Skip burned out the brand new
alternator he bought here, I started considering what "heavy duty"
means.....and I'm CONVINCED it doesn't mean anywhere near CONTINUOUS
DUTY. His alternator just COOKED the coils! Noting how inefficient
these machines really are (from the graph), I can see heat is a major
issue if you're gonna load it over 20 minutes! That little alternator
fan at 2000 RPM ISN'T going to cool off 1500 watts of heat very
well....??

So.....which diesel AC genset are we going to install in it and forget
all this nonsense??.....(c; I like this one for boats:
http://www.nextgenerationpower.com/
Kubota diesels run LONG!

I want THIS genset for the house....on Waste Veg Oil I'm using in the
cars. FREE POWER, 24/7 for YEARS!
http://youtube.com/watch?v=KfR9gGUI8Fs
Some guys even made 'em electric start!
http://youtube.com/watch?v=nPg01eOsHiw
http://youtube.com/watch?v=pS0Z7-Es5g8

Of course, if you're gonna crank the big twin, don't forget to PRIME THE
PUMP FIRST!...(c;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PUFJvYGy67g

Listeroids are made in India and quite cheap....lots net info on them.

Great boat engine...who needs sails??....(c;

After 40 years of constant running, put in new rings and give it to your
grandkids...

On Sun, 06 Jul 2008 05:37:37 +0000, Larry wrote:

So.....which diesel AC genset are we going to install in it and forget
all this nonsense??.....(c; I like this one for boats:
http://www.nextgenerationpower.com/
Kubota diesels run LONG!

So the gist is if your propulsion is limited to a 50hp engine and you
want to run electrical appliances like you're in a house - so to speak
- better get a genset.
Any thoughts on what size propulsion engine is best suited to also
produce "house type" electricity, and how to configure the generator
end with the engine?
These should be original boat design considerations, but I suspect
most of the sail boats out there were designed before all the
"creature comforts" like microwaves, 1500 watt hair dryers, etc, etc,
came of fashion.
I just was arguing with a daughter who is going to Poland about her
damn hair dryer. She wants to buy a little wall wart transformer for
it. Told her to buy a dryer over there and give it to her grandma
when she leaves.
She didn't like that, so I told her if the transformer she takes
doesn't weigh at least 20 lbs she'll probably start an electrical
fire and burn grandma's house down.
Still don't know if I convinced her. She's a blonde.

I want THIS genset for the house....on Waste Veg Oil I'm using in the
cars. FREE POWER, 24/7 for YEARS!
http://youtube.com/watch?v=KfR9gGUI8Fs
Some guys even made 'em electric start!
http://youtube.com/watch?v=nPg01eOsHiw
http://youtube.com/watch?v=pS0Z7-Es5g8

I think you're on borrowed time with the "free" part. Eateries with
waste oil are contracting for disposal all over the country.
Hope you got those barrels stacked high in your warehouse.
Did you ever start running that air-cooled auto store genset on veg
oil?

--Vic

Vic Smith wrote in
:

Did you ever start running that air-cooled auto store genset on veg
oil?

Yes, the 25c/gallon vegoil/mineral spirits mix I run in the Mercedes diesel
cars. Cranks right up.

I'll dump it if I ever get a Listeroid to play with. Much quieter with
that funny thumping sound at 300 RPM.

CQ Larry ve6raj Cruising 0 December 28th 07 06:54 PM
Yo!! Larry!! Short Wave Sportfishing General 3 October 15th 07 02:24 AM
Hey Larry Gordon Cruising 8 August 31st 07 04:59 PM
Say, Larry Roger Long Cruising 31 March 23rd 07 04:06 PM
Hey Larry Jim General 0 October 8th 06 04:26 PM